the best small camera in the world for professional photographer ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to get something special but it is very hard to get straight advice...

It's not so much about getting "straight advice"...but as the thread title states..."best camera in the world for professional photographer"..."best" really means different things to different people.

I think the best way to shop for something is to make a list of what is most important to you...then purchase the camera that best meets those needs.

Also...if you're already a "professional photgrapher"...you probably already know more about cameras than the majority of us (although we do have some very knowledeagble photography folks here).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Yes, and the prices of the cameras in that article are all over the place. WOW...

BTW: I just got a sony RX100... The non full frame version of the RX1 in the article... I like it a lot. I have not had to sharpen many photos at all with it. 1" sensor and 20mp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I got an RX100 for Christmas. I'm quite impressed with the file quality. I had one print blown up to 16x24 and it came out very nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
That camera is on my list, flowrider.

Reaction score
Leica

As others had mentioned, decide on which features you need to have ... I bought a Leica VLux-4 about a month ago, and am loving it! If I hit the lottery, I will def add to my Leica collection! Good luck...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
A camera is always a compromise, between portability, price, performance, durability etc. Every person's rationale will be different from most others. One key factor is low light performance, and how important it is to you.

As well as old film cameras, I have two DSLRs, both (by chance) Canon. A 5D and a 7D. For landscapes, building interiors etc I prefer the 5D. For sport and action generally and especially when I want to use a long lens I take the 7D. The lenses I have cost much more than the two camera bodies, and then there are flashes etc. You're buying into a system, and after a while you'll be committed to that system as a change would cost too much.

I also use compacts, and my favourite by far is a Canon G10. I've tried most of its successors and come back to the G10 as doing better what I want from it. I also have smaller "pocket" cameras by Canon, Casio and Pentax.

I also own, but they don't work any more, a couple of Sonys. It's a brand I will always steer clear of, as their customer service is abysmal and their products tend to fail pretty early. I have never owned a Nikon, though that seems to be the DSLR of choice down here. I might get one in due course - I particularly like the D800 - but I watch the warranty experiences of owners here and they're not encouraging.

This is a very harsh environment for cameras and lenses, and often neither lasts more than 2 years before major trouble. I have had no such trouble with my Canon gear (though others have had) but I know no-one with a Nikon who hasn't had major issues with bodies and/or lenses.

Just my personal experiences, not necessarily relevant to your wants.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW I have a Nikon P7100 (the predecessor to their No. 2 pick). And while I like it a lot for reasons that are specific to MY needs, there is no way I would put it in the same class as the RX1, RX100, or Fuji.

EDIT: And I would agree with the sentiment that lists like these are basically worthless. Take some time to learn enough about photography and your own wants, then research and put together your own 'Best' list.

C

chas_m

There seem to be some solid choices on the list, and they defend their rationale well. But as stated above, if you're into a particular kind of photography (lets say sports for argument's sake) then that factor HEAVILY influences what choice to make.

I personally can't deal with cameras that don't have at least 10x zoom so everything on that list is a non-starter for me. If a camera doesn't have a swiveling LCD I can't use it. If I have to spend 10 minutes on each picture touching it up from the raw file, that's unacceptable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
The "best" camera can be summed up from this quote, "Your best camera is the one you have with you" (Andrew Harvey I believe). My choice in compact is my Samsung Note 2. It's always with me and infinitely lighter than either of my 3 DSLRs.

Now if I'm shooting for a client, the DSLR comes out. If you're shooting for pay, you are obligated to have the right equipment (notice I didn't say the best) and backups as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.