Looking to switch macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
I have a mbp 15 I picked up new in May 2012. So far it has been running very well and I am really starting to enjoy the whole shift from pcs to macs. At some point in the near future I am looking at wiping my current computer back to factory start and gifting it to a family member (it is either gift them my current one or buy them a new one) and picking up a 13" air for going back/forth to work and picking up a 21" imac for home for those times I need a beefier machine and want to run some computer games. The questions I have are:

* Where is a good place to start for wiping the computer back to square one with the original OS installed?

* If I do pick up a 13" air is there an easy way to put most of my current apps on it (I don't want them all on there) - does the app store remember which apps I have purchased or would it be more effective to use time machine?

* Based upon the specs of the newer 13"air, they seem to be able to handle most of the day to day programs. Is there any reason not to switch to a lighter laptop and home desktop combo? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

C

chas_m

Second question first: it would be more efficient to let Migration Assistant move all the apps and then just delete the ones you don't want (I'd suggest using AppCleaner or AppZapper for this).

Third question next: using a program like Chronosync in combination with iCloud, I think you can have the two machines in harmonious sync for a very effective duo.

The easiest way to "wipe the computer back to default" is to use the Recovery Partition that is already part of your Mountain Lion install.

If you do decide to buy your family member a new machine, can I have the 15" MBP? :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15, 2.2ghz, 4G ram 10.9
If you do decide to buy your family member a new machine, can I have the 15" MBP? :)

Lol, sadly I don't think that would happen.

I do want to thank you for your quick reply. This is one of those things that I am going to have to do some research on before I jump in. But at least on the surface it looks easy enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.