iPhone requires credit card info

Reaction score
I just changed my Apple ID and then tried to download a free app. It says my ID is wrong but it's definitely correct. Then it requests credit card information, but I dont have a credit card and only want to download free apps. I can't see a way to enter my account settings area in my iPhone.

Any ideas much appreciated ... Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You can only access your Apple ID through iTunes on a Mac or Windows PC.
Im not sure of the exact reason but Apple require you to have either a Credit Card of iTunes Gift card linked to your Apple ID.
I have been so low on my Credit Card at one stage with only a couple of ¢ in my account, and even though i have the credit card linked to my iTunes Account, it wouldnt let me download a Free App.So in short you will have to ask a friend/family if you can link there credit card to your iTunes account, OR buy a $20 iTunes gift Card and redeem it, which you can do on your iPhone to download your free App.

As i said im not sure exactly why Apple do this, but they do. It could be to do with a age limitation on iTunes. Needing to be old enough to have a credit card, gives you the right age to have a iTunes Account.
Just doing some reading and minimum age is 13yrs old, BUT you have to have a parent or Gaurdian manage your account. So up until your 18 you use a parent or gaurdians CC when as once you turn 18 you can use your own.

HTH

OP
A
Reaction score
It's possible without a CC

Thankyou very much. But I happen to know that it IS possible to download free apps without a CC linked to iTunes, because I've done it before. Unfortunately I just can't remember how ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Let me know how then, because im sure you have to have either a CC or a iTunes gift card on your account.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.