No Signal in Garage Band

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm trying to not wake the neighbors and record into Garageband directly. I'm plugging my guitar into an m-audio fast tracks 2 pre-amp/mixer (into the guitar input) and running to my macbook via usb. The M-Audio mixer is detected in garageband and set as the input source, and I'm getting a signal at the mixer when I play my guitar, but I'm not getting anything in garageband. I'd like to run the signal through one of the amplifier presets to beef up the sound. Any thoughts on why I'm not getting a signal? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
For me it was as easy as changing the input to M-Audio 2/2 and recording it as a real instrument. This only fixes half the problem, as I cannot access the array of guitar presets without recording as 'electric guitar' instead of 'real instrument'. I get the feeling I have to run direct from the guitar to the computer (using a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter) to accomplish this.

Reaction score
I still don't have a fix for that either, but if you want some work done ASAP you should use ProTools that came with your M-Audio. It does work (at least for my friend).

Reaction score
Did you set your M-Audio Fast Tracks mixer as the audio input in you Mac's system preferences?

You need to do this AS WELL as selecting it in Garageband.

Go to:

System Preferences > Sound > Input

You should see a list of available inputs attached to your Mac (usually the built in mic plus whatever else you have plugged in).

Select your mixer from the list. You may have to restart Garageband once you've done this for it to take effect.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you go to the output tab once you've done this and make sure that you have "Built In Output" Selected as the output source.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.