Creating Document Folders in Word 2011

Reaction score
New to MAC, trying to create document folders in Microsoft Word folders to organize and find my files quicker - can't figure it out. I have a MacBook Air if that's important

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're trying to create folders to place Word documents in then it's the same as creating any new folder on your Mac. Open the Finder, and then open your Documents folder. Right click on an empty space and select "New Folder". Name the new folder and press enter.

After placing your documents in the new folders, you can navigate to them easily in Word. When starting Word, cancel out the template selection dialog and Word will open the Finder for you.

Reaction score
Check your trackpad settings

Apple trackpads allow right-clicks, but you may need to change some settings

In the Apple menu, click on System Preferences. Click on Mouse/Trackpad. Yours may be set to "secondary click" in bottom right corner, or it might be set to "secondary click" with two-fingers. On YouTube, you can see some nice videos demonstrating the various gestures and clicks using trackpads -- here's one to get you started Apple Magic Trackpad Gestures - YouTube
Try searching "Macbook Air trackpad gestures"

OP
B
Reaction score
i can successfully create a folder on my desktop (when everything else is minimized) but when I try opening word it goes to templates, when I close that I see all my individual files, I go down to the bottom to find an open area but when I get there and click to create a folder nothing happens (ARGH). What am I doing wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not create a folder from within Word. If you read my directions again above, you'll see that I told you to open the "Finder" and create the folder there first not from Word.

OP
B
Reaction score
I appreciate your patience w/ me & your assistance. Don't know where to locate "finder". Obviously very new to this

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, not a problem. :) Look at the menu of icons at the bottom of your Mac's screen. That's called the "dock". Look all the way to the left of your dock and you'll see an icon that looks like a smiling face colored blue. Click on that, it's your Finder. The Finder is the OS X equivalent of the Windows File Explorer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.