Cleaning iMac before giving it away.

Reaction score
Our new sleek IMac's are here and the store transfered all the data. I plan on giving our old computers to family members however on mine there is some information that must stay confidential. What would you recommend I do. I have the original discs that came with it.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you have the original disks that came with the machine, wiping it clean is easy. Boot with the original install disk and use "Disk Utility" from the top menu "Utilities" to wipe the drive clean. Re-format the drive and then install OS X.

C

chas_m

If you opt to follow chscag's advice, DO NOT set up an account when you reinstall OS X. When the machine reboots following the OS X reinstall, just let it play the opening animation and then when it asks for a language, let it sit there for a few minutes and then power down by holding the power button for four seconds.

OP
K
Reaction score
If the original disks are not available what is another option, if there is one.

Update: is it called CPU Drop-in DVD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the original disks are not available what is another option, if there is one.

YIKES. Almost 11 months later...and this project still isn't completed. Things aren't moving very quickly!;)

Anyways. The lowest cost method (assuming the computer you need to "wipe" is an Intel Mac)...would be to purchase a $19.99 Snow Leopard disk to boot from...and do the hard drive wipe.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Snow Leopard OS X.6 as suggested and not GParted for Windows.

OP
K
Reaction score
YIKES. Almost 11 months later...and this project still isn't completed. Things aren't moving very quickly!

Hey, Im retired . More fun stuff to do like camp in the desert, surf fishing, drag racing . Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.