Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
This probably makes it a little tougher for some people to choose between a new iPad and a MBAir.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This probably makes it a little tougher for some people to choose between a new iPad and a MBAir.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. The price tag on a 128gig iPad (even higher with the cellular version @ $929.00)...certainly is getting real close to the cost of entry level Apple laptops.

This may certainly start a "platform conflict" between notebooks and tablets...and may give us a better idea of what folks prefer...or what Apple wants us to "prefer".;)

Of course we have discussed before that a tablet is not necessarily a 100% replacement for a notebook/laptop computer. But when the price tags get this close...I'm thinking consumers are bound to get even more confused.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I'm still trying to understand what Apple is doing with all these releases of the iPad?

Anyone notice how much Apple stock has dropped on the market lately? Maybe an indication of things to come?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There's absolutely no way I would get an iPad over a MBA. Never. I'd rather put in the extra $100, or get a refurb MBA.

I guess I'm still trying to understand what Apple is doing with all these releases of the iPad?

Anyone notice how much Apple stock has dropped on the market lately? Maybe an indication of things to come?

I honestly think they are rushing products to increase their shares. I have a few Apple stocks along with an assortment of others in my portfolio, and my Apple holdings alone went down $4000 from the highs. Luckily, I have others to make up for that "loss." I still want them to increase those stock prices though, but at the same time, I have a feeling they are falling into the same schemes as large corporations that focus on their stock values.

C

chas_m

The 128GB iPad is not for you. :)

Actually, I'm being serious there: it's not really intended for most people. Apple itself in the PR release explains it best: it's aimed at professionals who need the extra storage space and are using a tablet specifically for what they are doing. Field audio recording, photographers, that sort of thing.

It can also of course be used to store vast media or music libraries, if one wants to do that and prefers the iPad over the MBA for whatever reason, but the reason *Apple* created it is to address the needs of what I'll call "iPad professionals."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Exactly chas. The super sized iPad is for people that need an iPad with a large storage capacity. You wouldn't see a doctor running around with a MBA typing in exam notes and stuff like that, they'll be using an iPad. And when you add in all the client data, and specialty data like xrays, MRI, etc reports for all their patients.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And when you add in all the client data, and specialty data like xrays, MRI, etc reports for all their patients.
I can't imagine that many doctors keep all that information on their iPads. Tablets of all shapes and forms are a disaster relative to computers when it comes to security. There's a reason that most medical (and legal) workstations require some sort of biometric authentication. I won't lie - if I saw my doctor using a tablet to store my medical records, I'd have a problem with it.

Back to the topic. 128GB of data? Really? It would just be easier if external storage options were available instead of jacking up the price to meet what is obviously a demand for more storage.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't imagine that many doctors keep all that information on their iPads.

+1. My family doctor uses a special tablet that's tied directly into his office computer, however, no medical or patient information is stored on the tablet itself. And with the current hipaa laws being what they are with regard to patient privacy, I don't foresee the "big iPad" being used very much in the medical field.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just because your doctor is using a computer doesn't make your information secure. I've been to plenty of offices and hospitals that have their computers sitting out - with the power button available and USB ports open. If you can reboot a computer - you can get in.

You can have data encryption - wireless encryption - vpn - remote wipe etc that can secure data. If the DOD says they can use an iPhone/iPad/Android - it should be good enough for medical use.

I certainly could use a 128GB iPad. Use the iPad as a temporary holding pen for photos using a camera card kit. I am at 64GB - and full with just Apps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just because your doctor is using a computer doesn't make your information secure. I've been to plenty of offices and hospitals that have their computers sitting out - with the power button available and USB ports open. If you can reboot a computer - you can get in.
True but, in part, that's negligence on the part of the IT department and/or the doctor. Beyond that, losing a tablet is a much more likely scenario than a workstation (not to mention theft). So, I agree that being on a computer doesn't make it secure beyond doubt but I do think it is a much more secure option than a tablet (of any variety).

You can have data encryption - wireless encryption - vpn - remote wipe etc that can secure data. If the DOD says they can use an iPhone/iPad/Android - it should be good enough for medical use.
I don't have an issue with tablets in medicine in theory but I fear that their design as consumer devices makes them problematic for a field that uses devices in very different ways. Now, if data was streamed (over secure connections of course) and not stored on the device, I might be okay with it.

And here I sit in a city that, more than a year ago, rolled out more than 3,000 iPads to doctors and hired 70 developers to create applications specific to the needs of doctors and nurses. Looks like I might be on the wrong side of this debate (despite my reservations).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Beyond that, losing a tablet is a much more likely scenario than a workstation (not to mention theft).

This was always the biggest security issue that I've heard. From what I understand - the locking/data encryption/remote wipe - combo that is available on pretty much all devices is the reason why IT/Government/Schools/Doctors are willing to allow tablets(consumer devices) now. As soon as the device is reported missing - IT can send a wipe command thus securing the data.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I hear you. The fact that I can do it as a general "joe consumer" means that the tech works and is easy. You also can't remove the storage which adds a physical barrier.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it works or people wouldn't be doing it. However, I'm still more comfortable with workstations as the primary method of data input and retention.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.