Transferring Data With External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello,
I am transferring files from one mac to another and am not well versed in file system. I am not using the time machine. I have several questions, and so if you can answer any, I would greatly appreciate. Comments or suggestions welcome.

QUESTION 1:
Is the file that contains "ALL DOCUMENTS" all of the documents minus the organized folders? I have a lot of duplicate docs and images and want to clean up an reorganize folders. Then I will back up properly moving forward, and add images back to iphoto at one time. SO far I copied the whole file and dropped it into a desktop folder.

QUESTION 2:
If I choose to use my desktop folders from other mac and drop them onto the the other macs desktops will I be duplicating files? I am not sure if the desktop documents are just shortcuts of the real file documents as in windows program.

QUESTION 3:
Is it a bad idea to download a program that will help me locate and delete duplicates? I have 8000+ documents.

QUESTION 4:
If I copy my dated file folders from the iphoto program, will the iphoto system on other computer recognize?
[/COLOR][/B]

Thank you in advance. Giz :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I would urge you to use migration assistant or Time Machine

You still have control over what gets transferred, your apps can be transferred and you won't have to deal with duplication, folder paths etc.

But I'll take a shot at your questions:
QUESTION 1:
Is the file that contains "ALL DOCUMENTS" all of the documents minus the organized folders? I have a lot of duplicate docs and images and want to clean up an reorganize folders. Then I will back up properly moving forward, and add images back to iphoto at one time. SO far I copied the whole file and dropped it into a desktop folder.
It's a smart folder - a view of many other folders. Not a 'real' folder. I wouldn't use this a backup basis but instead look to the individual folders that contain your content.

QUESTION 2:
If I choose to use my desktop folders from other mac and drop them onto the the other macs desktops will I be duplicating files? I am not sure if the desktop documents are just shortcuts of the real file documents as in windows program.
As with Windows, they may be shortcuts/Aliases or they may be actual files and folders. Can't say which without looking. I'd recommend a) not using the desktop as a filing system b) go through and look at each file/folder and the ones you want to keep put in the appropriate location - e.g. pictures, music, documents, video etc

QUESTION 3:
Is it a bad idea to download a program that will help me locate and delete duplicates? I have 8000+ documents.
That depends if you trust an automated process to determine if the files are genuine duplicates. Personally, even if I did use a tool of this kind I'd want to backup first, run the tool, then check manually I hadn't lost anything - so I'd probably just use the tool to identify dupes and check and delete them myself. I'd also invest some time in organising files and folders into recognised folder structures (as per the answer to question 2). They become much easier to handle/move etc.

QUESTION 4:
If I copy my dated file folders from the iphoto program, will the iphoto system on other computer recognize?
I wouldn't mess with iPhoto piecemeal. Just copy the entire library file across as one.

I would, however strongly urge you to take some time to organise what you have now, use Time Machine to back up.
Connect to your new Mac and use Time Machine to restore. It'll take all the guesswork out of the process.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Plow

You made some great points. Thanks.

I am looking into doing this through the migration assistant. I have a LaCie program that came with external drive. I was afraid to go there since I have no knowledge of how this works, but I guess the tine is now. Giz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Post back with how you get on and any issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.