iBook Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
I just got a iBook G4 12'. I used to have a HP Windows PC, I usally keep my internet always on via my wireless connection. But when I close my iBook it shuts off the internet connection. Is there anyway to keep the internet connection on even when the iBook is closed? This is really important for a app like AIM or iChat. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is not possible because the iBook can not be on when the lid is closed as opposed to the powerbook, this is because the iBook gets rid of all of its heat through the keyboard so if you were to download a hack that let you use the iBook with the lid closed it would only cause your computer to get really hot, and cause damage to your screen since that is where all the heat would be going.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see. Well then is it possible to make the display go to sleep, but keep the lid open and keep the internet going all the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
The closest thing that you could do is dim the screen to it's fullest, and it will use less power. The only way to keep Aim open etc, is to have the computer on and running. keep your screen open, dim it all the way, and that's all you can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
To simulate a sleep screen when your iBook is open go to System Preferences and set the computer to never sleep and then set a solid black screen as a screen saver and set that to come on when you choose. That should do what you want, but most however people do not seem to recommend never letting your computer sleep.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well most of the time my computer will be fully asleep when I am at school, but mostly during the day it will be on. Hopefully that should not hurt it to much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
If the ibook dissapates heat through the keyboard does that make those keyboard protectors a bad idea... wouldent they keep the heat in?

N

nfs2

You can put the display to sleep when the computer had been inactive for a certain period of time. You can find this option in enegrgy saver preferences

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...what is happening, I came back to my computers about 3 hours later and it was at the sign in screen.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there anyway to just keep it off that screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Go to system preferences and use the energy saver & Security preferences...
You can change this kind of behaviour there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.