Webpage design applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hello all,
I am looking for and application that I can get, really want it to be free, that I could make a webpage in a design view. Simular to dreamweaver where I can make the webpage, and it comes out in html, and If I want to add html code I can switch over to html..
does not have to be that fancy but I would like something as close to that as I can for free if you guys know of that kind of freeware. If not I will just have to find an old version of dreamweaver for a cheap price I guess.

I want to make a website because I have a what I think is a good idea for a business and I would like to make a website to get myself known. So thank you for your help in advanced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I hate to say this, but you have to spend money to make money. If you want get your name out there and have a "professional" looking site, then you need to buy a good program, not rely on some free-ware and hope it works well. I apologize if that comes across as harsh, it is not meant to.

Just my $.02 worth....

Reaction score
open a notepad document and a buy an html book lol
Dreamweaver 30 day demo is aviable from there site if you want to try it.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
I hate to say this, but you have to spend money to make money. If you want get your name out there and have a "professional" looking site, then you need to buy a good program, not rely on some free-ware and hope it works well. I apologize if that comes across as harsh, it is not meant to.

Just my $.02 worth....

I have money and intend on spending it to get this business up... but i want to get a prototype of the site up before I show it to my dad (the person who will be paying for it)

M

MadRhino23

wow... I think my Dad would kick my **** if I built him a site and billed him for it... especially one being built on a free program! LOL :ninja:

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, not like that.. he is like an investor in my company type thing, in which i am starting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
can't u just use the 30 day trial then buy it?

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macAttack said:
can't u just use the 30 day trial then buy it?

possibly. .might be what I want to do..

M

MadRhino23

I was just poking fun PowerBook.....

don't mess around or waste time.... Go get Adobe GoLive or Macromedia Freehand....

If your not too interested in FLASH, get GoLive...

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just bit the bullet.. and got studio 8.. i use to be a web designer my freshmen year of high school.. so i figured why not go back to the professional applications that I was using then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
welp, my post is a little late, but there are several "dreamweaver" like apps, one of my personal fav's when not using dreamweaver is, Nvu, (www.nvu.com) it's well rounded and works nicely. it has some good features as well. There is also blue fish, ( http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html ) it's an open source project as well. they are both good until your able to save the dough for something better like dreamweaver.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Mr Bobbins said:
You may want to test Freeway as well.

http://www.softpress.com/en

I'd recommend downloading demos and then just trying them out until you find the one that serves your needs the best.

My impression of Freeway 3.5 was lame and useless - I've seen better and more friendly software for web design on a PC -- total waste of a C note

Reaction score
Ex_PC_Puke said:
My impression of Freeway 3.5 was lame and useless - I've seen better and more friendly software for web design on a PC -- total waste of a C note
Haven't really tried it out for a while so can't argue with that. Last time I tried it, I found it easy to use and not too expensive in price. I liked it more than 'Go live' that i also tested at the time.

Have you got any suggestions yourself of cheep and simple web design software for the Mac !!!! or are you just here to put other peoples suggestions down.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Mr Bobbins said:
Haven't really tried it out for a while so can't argue with that. Last time I tried it, I found it easy to use and not too expensive in price. I liked it more than 'Go live' that i also tested at the time.

Have you got any suggestions yourself of cheep and simple web design software for the Mac !!!! or are you just here to put other peoples suggestions down.

My point was not to put your suggestion down - sorry if thats how it was taken. But let me say I've got 16yrs of HW design experience - and came with in 1 year of completing a SW engineering degree - plus I've done some web page design in the past. Just wanted to state my programming experience level .... knowledgeable hack

I plunked down $99.95 for Freeway about 4 months ago in hopes of using it to design my new company's website - hosted by Yahoo. After an hour plus of fiddling with Freeway it was obvious it was not friendly nor intuitive ... I was forced to resort to using Yahoo's web builder on my PC. Far from glamorous - and short on flexibility .... but within 2 hours (and no user book reading or tutorials) I had a bare bones website up and running on the net that I could continue to refine .... as I learned more about web builder. Thats the bottom line.

Freeway may indeed make nice pages - but they seem to be expecting the user to have either a certain amount of knowledge of their product - or be starting from a certain point of view. Point in fact -- I was never able to make any sense on how to use their pretty "glass buttons" package.

So I'm still a bit steamed when it comes to Freeway --- I was heartened to here that Apple had bundled iWeb in iLife '06 ...... only to learn that it only uploads to .mac ...... crap and DOH !

To date I've not come accross a simple to use and reasonably priced ($100 or less) to use on my Mac.

Signed-
Still looking in Oregon :p

E

Ex_PC_Puke

For the record I should state that I have NO desire to fiddle with HTML or XML ect - ect. As a struggling small biz I also can't afford to pop hundreds of $$ for either pricey SW or to have a web designer do something I can do (more or less) in my evenings.

So what I'm looking for is a total WSIWIG - cut'n'paste - drag'n'drop - with numerous templates that can be modified to fit your needs / look and feel.

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe the best advice to 'powermacG4' is to download and try the demos first before buying.

I didn't have any trouble with designing web pages in freeway but then this was not long after it had just came out. Perhaps because of your pre experience is the reason why you did. Or maybe the program has got a lot more complex since I last used it.

I didn't buy freeway. I went for Canvas instead as it's also capable of making documentation, presentations and scale drawings which i also needed.

So their is another one to try, canvas X:

http://www.acdamerica.com/

Can be a bit of a challenge at times but all workable problems. :p

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Yesterday I tried a demo of Rapid Weaver - not bad for easy template driven web page creation - only flaw I saw was that the "ediit" space for each page does not support true drag'n'drop image placement ... might need to twiddle a menu option - but at $35 I'll look at it some more

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.