Removing remnants of delete apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
There seem to be quite a few threads on deleting apps which talk about how to remove it from your device and from iTunes but there is something that they don't cover which is confusing me.

Today I installed a new app on my iPhone. I realised it was useless fairly quickly and removed it using the usual method of touching and holding the icon until all icons started to wiggle and then touched the cross. The icon disappeared from my screen and I thought that would be the end of it.

Not so. Later in the day I connected the iPhone to my Mac to do my daily backup/sync and the app appeared in my iTunes library. It has an "install" button next to it so clearly it is not active on the phone but the fact that it got there in the first place suggests the app is still on my iPhone taking up space even though I deleted it as that's the only place it could have come from.

Obviously I can delete it from iTunes but there seems to be no way of knowing if it really has been removed from the iPhone.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to remove the whole thing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It is not on your iPhone taking up space - you are logged into your Apple account in iTunes and iTunes is going to show all apps that you have purchased with your Apple ID - since you removed it and have already purchased it - you have the option of re-downloading the app.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
Ah yes. That's embarrassing.

It hadn't occurred to me because I almost never log in on the Mac ... only when I add or remove credit card details from my account. I must have forgotten to log off yesterday after removing the card details. (Today's app was free).

Thanks for pointing out my mistake

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, it's a pitb with all the free apps we try out that turn out to be garbage.

Those purchases you don't want to see can be hidden so that don't show up all the time - I think this will hide them in iTunes also - how to.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9,1
Thanks for the link. I rarely use the "purchased" view but hid the app anyway.

Interestingly, although only yesterday's app had appeared in my iTunes library there were other free apps which I've tried in the past but have never appeared in iTunes. I'd thought that maybe I'd used a different ID (which I sometimes do for free apps) but there must be something else which decides whether iTunes adds it to the library or not.

Now if only hiding the app would stop it appearing in future searches that Apple support article would really be providing something useful ;-)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that'd be cool - any app you rate at 1 star never appears in your searches again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.