Apple Lossless on iTunes: compressed when downloaded to iPod?

Reaction score
I've ripped many CDs to lossy AAC compressed files on iTunes. I'm going to hook up my Mac laptop to the amp in my stereo setup so I can start playing my playlists thru my floorstanding speakers.

I want to re-rip my CDs as Apple Lossless files for better sound quality. I assumed I would need two libraries in iTunes, the AAC for downloading to an iPod (to save memory space) and a new lossless library for the better sound; but I was told that iTunes compresses Apple Lossless files when downloading to iPod so space is preserved on the iPod.

Is this correct? If so, how much space does an Apple Lossless file take on an iPod compared to an AAC file (what percent memory comparing one to the other after downloading onto iPod)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have my library in lossless from my CD's and when my wife's Shuffle is docked it automatically converts the selected music to Lossy without the need to do anything extra and my ancient iPod lets me decide between lossless or several different lossy formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I've ripped many CDs to lossy AAC compressed files on iTunes. I'm going to hook up my Mac laptop to the amp in my stereo setup so I can start playing my playlists thru my floorstanding speakers.

I want to re-rip my CDs as Apple Lossless files for better sound quality. I assumed I would need two libraries in iTunes, the AAC for downloading to an iPod (to save memory space) and a new lossless library for the better sound; but I was told that iTunes compresses Apple Lossless files when downloading to iPod so space is preserved on the iPod.

Is this correct? If so, how much space does an Apple Lossless file take on an iPod compared to an AAC file (what percent memory comparing one to the other after downloading onto iPod)?

I do this. I have iTunes set up to rip in ALAC and stream it to my AV amp using Apple TV.I have iTunes set up to auto-sync in AAC to my iPhone like osxx.

With regards to file size there are so many variables it's hard to give an exact figure. A typical AAC file is below 10Mb and some of my ALAC files are topping 40Mb.

C

chas_m

IIRC there is a checkbox in the syncing part of iTunes that offers to convert songs "on the fly" to the compressed format on the device only, saving you having to have and maintain two libraries. However, I'm wondering now if this only applies to the Shuffle or if it works for the Nano as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It works for all models I believe. I have the option to convert to compressed audio for my iPod Classic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.