New iMac or Mac mini

Reaction score
I have been looking at the new iMac and Mac mini I am just curious if new models will be released anytime soon. I realize this is more towards Mac mini as the iMac is new. I already have a 2011 Mbp but its not powerful enough for my needs for gaming etc. I am curious of people's opinions on what one is better or better value. And I don't know a lot about the diff of graphic cards etc.

I really like the iMac but if the mini comes out with a decent upgrade I'm not sure what to do.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The iMac just updated - while as you said the Mac Mini has been out for a while. What it usually comes down to - is do you already have a monitor and peripherals? If you do - then you could probably get a Mac Mini. The iMac is a great all-in-one and comes with a big or a bigger display. Downside to an iMac is there is no way to upgrade it. You could still - in theory use it as a monitor for any thunderbolt capable computer.

The new iMacs do have some pretty decent discrete memory cards - but you'll probably want some multi-card setup to get best gaming performance. The Mini on the other hand are using the Intel HD4000 - which are OK but not great for 3d games.

If you really want to do computer gaming - and the 2011 MBP isn't enough - you'll probably want to just build a gaming PC and run Windows. You could get a Mac and bootcamp it - but then if your final goal is to make a gaming rig - then you could put together a much faster system for a lot less money if you build it yourself.

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't have a monitor either so I was more towards iMac as its graphics card is better but if the new mini is going to be any better it would save me money. I'm not a hardcore gamer mostly just WOW and mmo similar to it. I just dislike widows so I'd prefer a Mac all in all. Not sure if a 1gb vid card is nessisary or not? Or more like the 2gb on 27" iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The discrete video cards with their own memory will be better for 3d gaming. The Intel HD4000 is OK - but if you don't have peripherals it may be better to get the iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.