iPhoto Library to ext drive

Reaction score
Hello.
Brand new to Mac-Forums. Just successfully cleared 25GB (iTunes Library) from my 2010 MacBook Air which was constantly shouting "Startup Disk Almost Full" to my Seagate 1.5TB. Thanks to your forum!

Now I'm sitting at my table with a brand new version of iPhoto 11 (no photos on it at all) on the MacBook Air, hooked up to my ext Seagate 1.5TB drive, and next to them my Moms Macbook.

On my Mothers MacBook is iPhoto 9 with all my pics.
I want to move (import) all the photos to my MacBook Air, or I should say my ext Seagate.

I'm on a wifi network. Should I plug ext Seagate into Moms MacBook and download to it?
And what iPhoto file should I move to Seagate.

Then I assume when I plug Seagate back to my MacBook Air I'll be able to access them thru iPhoto 11?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Think you've solved this one for yourself :)

Copy the iPhoto library to the Seagate drive.

Connect it to your new Mac and start iPhoto holding Option - this will let you browse to a location for the iPhoto library (rather than the default Pictures folder location). Just point it at the library file on the external drive.

Be aware, if memory serves me, opening an iPhoto 09 library in 11 will upgrade the library making it unreadable in 09

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.