AirPort Express - Won't Work

Reaction score
I have an AirPort Express that stopped working the other day. I went to the apple store and all they could offer was buy a new one.

My Mac won't detect it. I get an message saying it needs "AirPort Utility 5.6.1" but this utility won't install on Snow Leopard.

Any solutions? Anyone experience this?

I did configure the AirPort Express on my Windows desktop and AirPlay worked via ethernet but it disappeared when I tried to connect it to my wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of Airport Express?

Have you tried a soft/hard/or factory reset?
Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

If you can connect to it via ethernet - then the Express is somewhat working. Have you tried setting it to just join the wireless network?

Also - if you can configure it using windows - then it should still work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Here is where I am at:

Mac OS 10.6 won't find the airport express
Win OS 7 will see it I can configure it but when I try to join my network (my router) it disappears and can't locate it. I then have to reset the AirPort Express.

It is not the new AirPort Express, it is the older one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of router are you trying to join it to? I think you can have it join a wireless network - but it won't extend a wireless network unless you are joining to another Airport Extreme or Time Capsule.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.