Time Machine Smart Update?

Reaction score
Does Mac's Time Machine have a "smart update" option like SuperDuper where only new information gets backed up instead of the entire hard drive each time? I was hoping that Time Machine within the newer Lion OS would have this option, but I haven't upgraded yet.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine works that way automatically. It does not do a complete backup each time unless you erase the backups and start over. It only backs up what has changed.

OP
S
Reaction score
Time Machine works that way automatically. It does not do a complete backup each time unless you erase the backups and start over. It only backs up what has changed.

Is that also true for the Snow Leopard version of Time Machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It has been true for every version of Time Machine ever since it was first introduced with Leopard.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That is essentially what time machine is already doing.

It does not back up the entire drive each time it runs. The first backup takes a while because it is a full backup if all files minus any that you have excluded (such as virtual machine files), On subsequent backups two things happen:

1. Any new or modified files are backed up.
2. For unmodified files Time Machine creates a pointer to the original file.

Edit: I really must be getting old. Multiple thread responses in the time it took me to type one. Slow down guys let the old dude catch up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.