Powerbook G4 Compatibility after Pentium is released

D

deadbirdy

I'm looking into transitioning into a Mac, the Powerbook G4 to be precise. I was told about the whole Apple and Intel thing just recently. My friend told me today that compatibility of things for the G4 is going to go drastically down once the Intel versions come out. Is that truly accurate or just to some extent? I'd really like to purchase the G4 Powerbook, but I want to know if it's a smart move. I don't really feel the need to get a newer Intel model version. I basically just want to know how, if badly, this will affect the G4 processor models.

I'd appreciate some advice or input on this. I can't afford the MacBook Pro, so I'm hoping the PowerBook will be worth getting, otherwise I'll be going back to Windows and Dell, or something.

Thanks.

Reaction score
My intake. There are millions and millions of Mac users, they just can't stop support .. I think support will go on for years, longer than your new G4 powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah Im banking on that the PPC processor will still be good for another 5 or more years.. so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So far Apple has only dictated that all future Apps should be Universal Binaries. That means that they will all work on both Intel and PPC Macs.

OP
A

atforce

Exactly don't worry man. I just got a powerbook for christmas and i spazzed but then I learned about what there going to do. By the time I get a new computer it will be a intel chip and will be apple. You still have years of safety my friend

OP
D

dr427

It's good to hear the confidence. I switched from PC to Mac last October and now I too am thinking of a current PPC G4 12" or 15". I would rather get the tried and true then the Rev A. My only real concern was future compatibility, but if I have 5 years then no problems!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
dr427 said:
It's good to hear the confidence. I switched from PC to Mac last October and now I too am thinking of a current PPC G4 12" or 15". I would rather get the tried and true then the Rev A. My only real concern was future compatibility, but if I have 5 years then no problems!

"Good morning, Dave." dig your avatar ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.