Removing Deleted Files from HD

Reaction score
I have iMac 24" with OS 10.7.5 and 319 GB disk storage space.

After deleting files from my hard drive (and clearing Trash), I am still finding deleted files in "All my Files" section on my HD. I am able to access these deleted files by double-clicking the file in this "All my Files"

I am having disk space hassles, showing very little remaining disk space - the sum of the components in my HD do not add up to the amount of space used on Get Info, and I therefore must assume that deleted files still showing up in "All my Files" are still being included in the disk space used.

Why do these deleted files still appear there, and how can I clear out my HD to restore more available storage space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

In simple terms when you 'Empty Trash' the file just gets earmarked for being overwritten at some point when the space is needed. Choosing 'Secure Empty Trash' will delete the file completely and free the space up immediately.

Edit: sorry I forgot to add some solutions Go into Finder >all my files>type in the wild card asterisk symbol into the search bar, view the files as a list and arrange the files by size and a list of duplicated files will appear that you can wade through and delete.Files with the biggest size e.g 1Mb to 100Mb are shown top down. In iTunes also if you choose Music>Songs>View>Show duplicated items which you can choose to delete.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Pendlewitch

Thanks vm for your most useful reply. Pleased to say that I have now sorted out my HDD space problems after applying your suggestions, and thoroughly cleaning out duplicated and unwanted files, and using "secure empty trash". Have also purchased and installed Mountain Lion which has also helped to improve things.

Thanks again

mandav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi Pendlewitch

Thanks vm for your most useful reply. Pleased to say that I have now sorted out my HDD space problems after applying your suggestions, and thoroughly cleaning out duplicated and unwanted files, and using "secure empty trash". Have also purchased and installed Mountain Lion which has also helped to improve things.

Thanks again

mandav

That's excellent news mandav..thank you.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was a bit hasty re advantages of Mountain Lion - see my post re mouse scrolling problem arising after the M/L installation - very frustrating!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.