Ejecting external DVD drive via eject key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hi all, I've searched Google and can find nothing that seems to work for me. I bought a new iMac earlier this month and today have purchased an external DVD writer (Samsung if that makes a difference). I notice that the iMac wireless keyboard has an eject key despite the fact that the iMac no longer comes with an optical drive. Surely this means that I must be able to assign that key to an external drive, otherwise what's the point?

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have a 2012 iMac (without an optical drive), however, I own a 2011 model which does have an internal optical drive. Having said that.... I never use the internal drive but instead use an external Samsung DL DVD drive along with a wireless Apple keyboard.

The eject key works on the wireless keyboard to eject a disk from the drive, not the drive itself as you asked. An external optical drive will not even mount on the desktop unless a disk is inserted. Perhaps that's what is causing your eject key not to work. The optical drive does not have to be ejected provided a disk is not inserted. Just unplug it. Not a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The external DVD appears on the desktop? Drag it to the Trash or simply right click and choose Eejct. For what it is worth try the eject key on the keyboard by all means but I think that will apply to media in the optical drive.

Samsung SE-208? Use a USB hub with four ports and individual on/off switches as this unit requires two USB connections, one power and one connecting.

Not even beaten by a minute. I was first and chscag used his supernatural powers as a staff member to displace my thread!!

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I meant that I would like to use the eject key to eject a disc from the external drive - not the external drive itself, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I can eject discs successfully using the right-click method, but I'd prefer to be able to use the key on the keyboard, since it's there! Not sure I understand why Apple would include this key if it's not possible to assign it to an external drive. Unless it only works with their Superdrive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand why Apple would include this key if it's not possible to assign it to an external drive. Unless it only works with their Superdrive?

Perhaps I didn't state my reply the way I should have, but my wireless keyboard eject key does work to eject disks from my external Samsung drive. But again, I have a 2011 model iMac which also has an internal drive. I suspect because your machine does not have an internal drive, the eject command on the wireless keyboard is not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The eject key on my Apple Wired keyboard that I used with my Mid 2010 iMac (with internal optical drive) would eject both the external AND the external Optical drives, but would only eject the externals if the internal was empty. I had to be careful since I had 5 external FW Optical drives and one extra push of the button would pop all 5 drives open.

My late 2012 iMac with the Apple Wireless BT keyboard OR my Logitech wireless keyboard will not eject any of my 6 external USB 3 Optical drives at all. Haven't tried the wired keyboard with this machine yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.