unable to empty trash

Reaction score
Recently repeated attempts to empty trash has been unsuccessful. The windows leading up to the final step happens then it suddenly stops the emptying process. What am I to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Recently repeated attempts to empty trash has been unsuccessful. The windows leading up to the final step happens then it suddenly stops the emptying process. What am I to do?

Check out some of the files, are they connected with some open applications or are they 'locked' like old Pages documents.You'll have to move them out to open/unlock them.

Sometimes it's just sheer volume..if you move everything out into a desktop folder and then replace smaller groups back in you can empty it that way.

You can also hold down the alt key whilst you press the Empty Trash option in the File menu.

There is a support article here You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

Reaction score
Download CCleaner which is great for cleaning junk off your mac and also empties trash. I used on my pc and was delighted to find it available when I changed to mac.

Reaction score
It was of course only a suggestion. I think looking at reviews it has improved over the years. As a mac owner for only a few months I have found it to behave in the same way as on windows and have had no issues.

C

chas_m

We don't presently recommend CCleaner due to NUMEROUS reports of issues with the Mac version. On the PC it's well-regarded, but on Mac there is no reason not to use the superior, well-tested and free OnyX instead.

Reaction score
Fair enough Chas. I will have a look at Onyx. Again as a newbie I kind of assumed if CCleaner was available in the App Store then it should be okay coupled with my experience of the program on windows and now something like 4 months with the mac version with no issues at all, that my suggestion was a reasonable one. I live and learn. Sorry my first ever reply to a post has caused issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough Chas. I will have a look at Onyx. Again as a newbie I kind of assumed if CCleaner was available in the App Store then it should be okay coupled with my experience of the program on windows and now something like 4 months with the mac version with no issues at all, that my suggestion was a reasonable one. I live and learn. Sorry my first ever reply to a post has caused issues.

Not at all jaritch...it's an easy mistake to make and we all make them from time to time. These sorts of products are plastered all over the internet and you can soon get sucked in by them.

The facts, for me at least, are that the Mac environment is pretty much stress free and you'll find all the tools to maintain your Mac right there in the OS.

You are definitely in the right place for some of the best advice on Apple products around so you keep coming back and pitching in whenever you get the urge:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sorry my first ever reply to a post has caused issues.

Issues? In fact, you performed a service. You created a "teachable moment" for all new Mac users who might see this thread. Thanks, and as said above, keep coming back and contributing. I've had my advice corrected before, and appreciated the chance to improve my knowledge base. Just reading and not responding helps me too, but don't be shy about sharing what you know.

Reaction score
Hi Just a wee update. I have uninstalled CCleaner and installed Onyx. Will have to look at a tutorial as it seems more complicated than CCleaner, probably because I am not used to it. Are the default settings ok to leave as is? Also I still find it strange that CCleaner is in the APP Store and Onyx isn't and I had to change my settings in security to allow to download from anywhere before I could open Onyx. I suppose my point is that without the knowledge shared on here I probably wouldn't have touched Onyx, considering the security thing and the fact CCleaner ticks the boxes with Apple. Shouldn't Apple be removing CCleaner from the Store if it is causing so many problems? Maybe I had none because I only had it set to clean caches and not touch applications. Apologies to tonythomson as I seemed to have taken his thread on a different direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Just a wee update. I have uninstalled CCleaner and installed Onyx. Will have to look at a tutorial as it seems more complicated than CCleaner, probably because I am not used to it. Are the default settings ok to leave as is? Also I still find it strange that CCleaner is in the APP Store and Onyx isn't and I had to change my settings in security to allow to download from anywhere before I could open Onyx. I suppose my point is that without the knowledge shared on here I probably wouldn't have touched Onyx, considering the security thing and the fact CCleaner ticks the boxes with Apple. Shouldn't Apple be removing CCleaner from the Store if it is causing so many problems? Maybe I had none because I only had it set to clean caches and not touch applications. Apologies to tonythomson as I seemed to have taken his thread on a different direction.

Once you've let Onyx do it Smart verification then run the Automation tab which is default and more than enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.