new mac user trying to burn dvd

Reaction score
I am a new mac user & I have made a movie of videos & photos in iMovie. My first attempt I exported it to My documents/movies & burned to dvd..Wont play in external dvd player..
Second attempt I exported it to Quick time, changing the settings to Dv-PAL. Still wont play. H E L P!!!

OP
J
Reaction score
I Live in Australia. Last year I did a movie editing course for PC & in that we used PAL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You were told correctly. Australia uses the PAL format so if the DVD player was purchased there that standard will be what is used. I suspect that the movie exported correctly but was burned as a data DVD rather than self playing movie DVD. What program did you use to burn the DVD? Can you describe the steps you gollowed.

Before you purchase Toast give Burn a try. It can create the correct type of DVD. I am not sure these instructions are for the current version but they should get you going in the right direction

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to answer. Thankyou for your help, burn is so easy to use. Why have the new macs been sold without idvd!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad to help.

Just speculation on my part but Apple seems to think customers are moving away from DVDs to things like YouTube. Vimio, etc. Given the size of most of our media libraries they may be right.

C

chas_m

Because making a DVD is VERY VERY SLOW (even on the fastest computers) and fairly tedious, very few people want to do it. All-digital distribution is the way to go with video, particularly now that H.265 (half the size of H.264!) is going to be coming along soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.