VHS Player to iMac

Reaction score
I am interested in learning how to hookup a VHS player to my iMac to upload movies to iMovie and edit them. I read where you need a "bridge" or analog to digital converter. Any idea of a specific make, model that works well?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

I've been looking at this myself.

My chosen method (though I've not done it yet) is to playback the VHS on a VCR (preferably with S.Video output) hooked up to a MiniDV camcorder which in turn is hooked up to your iMac.

Most modern MiniDV camcorders offer a pass-through mode, which converts incoming analog video into digital data, and then transfers the data to your Mac via FireWire. You'll need to adjust the menu settings on the camcorder.

You'll also need to connect audio cables between the outputs on your VCR and the inputs on the MIniDV Camcorder.

Turn both devices on, open a new iMovie project and start importing the film.

Edit: Watch the size of the files though, consider a large external drive for storage

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No Camcorder - you may want to consider ElGato's Video Capture device - link.
You can probably find it cheaper at Amazon.

Reaction score
I use this: EchoFX - Video Capture For Mac OS X with a Pinnacle Dazzle which is actually for PC.
The only thing is the hardware doesn't support audio, you have to connect the VCR audio directly to the Mac.
It will convert to several formats including mp4 I think (don't have it hooked up right now).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you to all 3 of you for your suggestions. I will work on this and let you know what works. Given I'm not tech savvy I am hopeful my brain can easily work with these solutions. Many thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just as a followup. I wanted to let you know that I checked with Sony and my camcorder (which i just spent $1200 on and purchased 3 months ago) doesn't have that capability. Wish it would have.....
The Elgato appears to be the easiest especially after reading the EchoFX and Dazzle qualifiers regarding Mac OS 10.8. In any case thank you to the three of you who helped me out!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Just as a followup. I wanted to let you know that I checked with Sony and my camcorder (which i just spent $1200 on and purchased 3 months ago) doesn't have that capability. Wish it would have.....
The Elgato appears to be the easiest especially after reading the EchoFX and Dazzle qualifiers regarding Mac OS 10.8. In any case thank you to the three of you who helped me out!!!

Hiya,
Thanks for reporting back. I'm thinking about the Elgato kit myself now I've had a closer look at all these solutions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.