2x512 RAM vs 1GB RAM and 100GB @ 5400 vs 100GB @ 7200

Reaction score
Ok, about the RAM. On apple.com they have the 2x 512 RAM for $100 above the base price and 1GB RAM for $200 above base price. I'm no genious obviously, but it's the same speed AND with the 2x 512 you have a back up in case one fails (more than likely won't happen), so why is it not as good as the 1GB? And with the hard drives, I know that the difference is speed, but is the difference noticable by a lot? Is it worth the extra $100 for the 7200? Thanks.

D

desantim

Ram, always cheaper to get 2x? than 1x? Just is, cheaper to make. And your backup theory.... I don't think I've ever heard someone use that for a reason to get two pieces of ram instead of one. I'd go with the one stick 1gigger. You can upgrade to 2gigs later if you choose. Otherwise you are stuck replacing one to get 1.5 gigs, or both to get 2 gigs later.

The hard drive. Get the 7200rpm drive. You'll thank yourself and me later. There is a significant difference in file transfer and application data access speeds. There is probably an even larger different going from 5400rpm to 7200rpm than there is going from 4200rpm to 5400rpm. There's a reason desktops don't even sell with 5400rpm drives anymore. Heat issues aren't really a big difference with the 7200 laptop drives and power consumption is minimal at best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
dont buy it from apple, theyre overpriced. You can use (assuming this is a G4) any hard drive you find in your local computer shop. if its a newer G5, you have to get the SATA drive

as for ram, same as above, but check here..post ur system and we can help you find the ram you need. I bought 2x512 for 80$ online. Apples new computers are dual channel, so you cant buy just one stick, u need 2 equal sticks for everything. thats why they have the 2x512

Reaction score
Don't buy the ram from apple, you will pay way to much. For example newegg has had 1 gig chips of Corsair select for about $80... I would recomend buying the 1 gig chips over the 512's because if you ever want to upgrade in the future you will end up yanking out the 512's to put in 1 gigs...

As for the 7200 drives yes they are worth the extra money over the 5200's. The difference is speed is noticable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.