iMac trackpad and keyboard going crazy

Reaction score
Hello all, im fairly new to macs. I have a 21.5" i5 2011 imac running mountain lion. Recently, my computer has been going through these cycles where most all trackpad gestures stop working and whenever I type it is in this random wingdings symbol looking font. Also, other things have stopped responding like the computer and display sleep sliders in the energy saver settings. they wont move if i try to drag them. Usually a few hours later it will work fine, but now it has been this way for a while. Very frustrating, and when it is in this crazy mode I can't do anything not being able to type (restarting, shutting down, etc.). Any ideas? Thanks

C

chas_m

What maintenance have you done, if any?

I would certainly recommend running OnyX if you haven't already. If you don't have it, try running Disk Utility and "repair permissions" on your boot disk (you can't do "repair disk" but you can verify it).

OP
B
Reaction score
I have not done any maintenance. To be honest, I was never told about or shown what kind of maintenance needs to be done when I bought the computer. I'm not even sure how I can download onyx since I can only type random symbols? Maybe i can email a link to myself from another computer.I know this is a really noob response, but I know what disk utility is but not sure what or how to use a boot disk, sorry. Thanks for the response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.