Should I buy a macbook pro OR the new imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPod Touch 4th generation, (Soon-To-Be iMac)
Hi guys! Last night i was looking at the macbook pro and the imac. I really like each of these machines and i would mostly use them for gaming, video editing, and school. I saw that the macbook pro (13.3 inches base model without retnia display) was $1099 in the student store. I also saw that i could get the 21.5 inch imac for only $150 more. I was more on the imac's side becuase it comes with 8GB and a 1tb Hard Drive. On the other hand, i would probably use the macbook pro for at home and while i am traveling. Keep in mind that on the macbook pro, there is only 4GB and 500GB hard drive. While i am not really disapointed in this, i would still like the specs of the imac. Plus, the macbook pro is only 13.3 inches and i am NOT going to pay more than $1300 for the 15.4 inch model. I know that each of these machines are missing the optical drive, so don't include that.

**When responding, please provide reasons for the macbook pro or the imac. I would also like comparisons as well.**

Thanks! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you want your Mac to be portable, buy the MBP. Otherwise, buy the iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
**When responding, please provide reasons for the macbook pro or the imac. I would also like comparisons as well.**

Would you also like a large fries and a Coke??;)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you give me some reasons why the macbook pro is better/worse than the imac... vice versa?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
McDonalds or not still the same answer do you want a portable or a desktop?

A MBP 2.9GHz runs a Geekbench test score of 7771, the same 2.9GHz iMac comes in at 9071. Buy the iMac. word of warning the 21.5" is not user upgradable, including memory so either buy it as you want it or go for the 27" model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This ain't McDonalds.

Just teasing...get a sense of humor!;) Remember...we are all volunteers here...and we do like to have a little fun!:)

This includes using "friendly wording" when making requests. Your initial post seemed a bit on the "demanding" side of things.:(

- Nick

p.s. And like has already been mentioned multiple times. You first need to decide if you need the portability of a laptop computer. Once you decide this...then the choice between an iMac (desktop) or a MacBook Pro (laptop) is easy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you give me some reasons why the macbook pro is better/worse than the imac... vice versa?

- A MacBook Pro is better than an iMac when it comes to portability.
- An iMac is better if you like a larger display & in most cases more powerful graphics hardware.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And since this topic has been beaten to death over and over again, a little forum searching on your part would be beneficial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And since this topic has been beaten to death over and over again, a little forum searching on your part would be beneficial.

That sounds suspiciously like work. There will be none of that here....

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I want portability but i don't like that i would have to have lots of cords running from the side of it to say, my monitor.
McDonalds or not still the same answer do you want a portable or a desktop?

A MBP 2.9GHz runs a Geekbench test score of 7771, the same 2.9GHz iMac comes in at 9071. Buy the iMac. word of warning the 21.5" is not user upgradable, including memory so either buy it as you want it or go for the 27" model.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha Nick! I was just joking with you. :p Anyways, i would love to travel and have the portability with a macbook pro BUT i have a microsoft surface and a 2 yr old laptop that i could use for that.
Just teasing...get a sense of humor!;) Remember...we are all volunteers here...and we do like to have a little fun!:)

This includes using "friendly wording" when making requests. Your initial post seemed a bit on the "demanding" side of things.:(

- Nick

p.s. And like has already been mentioned multiple times. You first need to decide if you need the portability of a laptop computer. Once you decide this...then the choice between an iMac (desktop) or a MacBook Pro (laptop) is easy.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! Now i'm more towards an imac.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys! I'll do a little looking of my own and then i'll tell you what i decided! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha Nick! I was just joking with you. :p

I think that we both know better!;)

Anyways, i would love to travel and have the portability with a macbook pro BUT i have a microsoft surface and a 2 yr old laptop that i could use for that.

Yes...if the "Surface" and your 2 year-old laptop will take care of your portable computing needs...then that would certainly seem to make this a VERY easy decision...get an iMac.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.