• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Unauthorized unlocking of new phones to be illegal in U.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not allowed? I would have thought ownership rested with the purchaser not some Librarian.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
DMC is a law that the Hollywood and Music industry with their big dollar lobbies in Wash DC got through congress sometime ago. It only gets worse as you can see with this latest ruling. What ever happened to "Fair Use" is a question many Americans are asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I might can see it under contract just not if I paid full pop for the phone and wanted to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
So much for that whole "Land of the free" thing huh?

Now, I doubt that our founding fathers had the iPhone in mind when they wrote that, but still, add it to the ever-growing list of things that is technically illegal to do with no good reason as to why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
An unenforceable law is worthless....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I might can see it under contract just not if I paid full pop for the phone and wanted to.

Most phones, if sold without a contract (pay full price), are sold unlocked. The iPhone I know is unlocked it you want to outright buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'm not 100% sure that story is accurate. It seems - according to this ars technica article - there is a grandfather clause (just like about any law in the US) so if you already own the phone before the date - you can still unlock it.
Jailbreaking now legal under DMCA for smartphones, but not tablets | Ars Technica

In other words, phones you already have, as well as those purchased between now and next January, can be unlocked. But phones purchased after January 2013 can only be unlocked with the carrier's permission.

but I am not a lawyer - and have not read the actual statement - just found another article.

I don't think the law is unenforceable - you don't go after the individual - you go after the unlocking services and software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would have though the US government has got bigger issues to tackle than phone unlocking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Ivan if it was not for lawyers....we would not need lawyers. With respects to Randy B>Singer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
You would think...but sadly...no.

This isn't true. They do have bigger issues to focus on, but this is part of the charade to keep people occupied and not worrying about the "bigger issues" that they keep putting off, avoiding, or flat passing bad legislation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think just to rub it in, Canada is trying to pass a law to make it mandatory to unlock cell phones if requested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Oh, gee, I'm scared. What most people don't know is that they actually have a bit of power in claims against cellphone providers.
This law is most likely solely created for the reason of stopping people from buying contract phones at a deal that makes the initial purchase + cancellation fee worthwhile. I travel overseas a lot, and it helps to be able to use your phone with multiple providers when traveling. If I unlock my phone, and still remain with the original phone service provider, and they go after me, good luck to them. Something similar happened to us when we had Verizon a while ago. Didn't work out well for them.
Consumer protection...something consumers know nothing about these days.

Also, with all the new free wifi phone apps, and the vast majority of free wifi available now a days, one more move from them and i'll just completely drop them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
This isn't true. They do have bigger issues to focus on, but this is part of the charade to keep people occupied and not worrying about the "bigger issues" that they keep putting off, avoiding, or flat passing bad legislation.

I meant that they do not focus on the bigger issues, or they consider it more important to focus on making unlocking your smartphone illegal than fixing all of the more important issues that we have at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I meant that they do not focus on the bigger issues, or they consider it more important to focus on making unlocking your smartphone illegal than fixing all of the more important issues that we have at the moment.

Agreed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.