Restoring Chrome bookmarks from Time Machine

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone help with the process of re-installing bookmarks to Google Chrome from a time Capsule? So far I have gone to:

Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks;

opened the Time Machine; then gone back to the relevant date, and hit restore.

The time machine then exits and I'm back on the desktop with the default window still open.

If this is right so far, where I'm struggling is with the final step- how on earth to get the bookmarks to re-establish themselves as they were on the Google Page.

So in the other words, it looks I've retrieved them from backup, but I can't see anything!

I might be doing this wrong- anyone suggest a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What you're doing should work. However you could try opening the current folder and dragging the file from Time Machine in the current chrome bookmarks folder rather than using restore

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If this is right so far, where I'm struggling is with the final step- how on earth to get the bookmarks to re-establish themselves as they were on the Google Page.
If you're talking about the new tab page when you say "Google Page", those shortcuts are counted as extensions and they can be found at (~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/).

Reaction score
Lost books marks in Chrome too.

I have a time machine backup. Don't want to use migration assistant.

I do not see this folder in application support: Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

In fact in my user account I can't access library at all. Is it hidden?

I'm in Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

Please help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your user library folder is hidden by default in Mavericks. Do this to unhide it:

Open your home folder (/Users/yourusername) in the Finder. Depending on your Finder settings, this may be as easy as simply opening a new Finder window. Otherwise, choose Home from the Finder’s Go menu (Go > Home); or press Shift-Command-H.

Still in the Finder, choose View > Show View Options (or press Command-J).

Near the bottom of the resulting View-Options palette is a setting called Show Library Folder. Enable this option. Your Library folder is immediately visible.

That will unhide it - but be careful in the future. That folder is hidden for a reason.

Now go ahead and follow the directions in the previous post about restoring your bookmarks from Time Machine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In fact in my user account I can't access library at all. Is it hidden?
Yes. In Finder, hold down Option and open the Go menu - it will be listed in there.

Reaction score
still can't find the library on my external HD time machine drive

Thanks for the replies. I can see my library on my computer HD but following your instructions doesn't allow me to see the user library on the time machine back up. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

I expose the library by holding down opt-Go. When I do it your method I don't see "show Library Folder".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to unhide the library so that it remains visible - use my instructions above. The other instruction results in a temporary view only and may not work when in Time Machine unless you go through the same procedure for each date.

Reaction score
Sorry still not getting it here.

1. I am not in Time machine. When I enter time machine I am only able to see today. I can't move back to my last back up - even though I know its there. I see all the dates on the side bar but they don't let me go back.

2. Following your instructions - I don't see "Show Library" at bottom of View-Options. I only have show icons, show icon preview and show preview column.

3. Again I am just trying to get into my user library on my Time machine backup so I can access my Chrome bookmarks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not doing something right if you're using Mavericks. Try this instead:

Open your terminal application: Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app

Type the following in the terminal dialog:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Press enter. Then type in "exit" to get out of terminal. Your user library will now show up in the Finder. Open Time Machine, go to a date when you know your bookmarks are OK and follow the directions you've already been given to restore them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.