iPhone 4 will not activate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 tower(one of the last)/ iMac 24" intel
I have been given an iPhone 4 by a friend who has upgraded.She had used this phone for the last 18 months and got her network (3 in Austria) to unlock the phone. I'm in Ireland and when I went to 3 Ireland to arrange a contract they were unable to activate it. I tried myself via my wifi and iTunes with the same result. I get a message saying 'We are sorry but we are unable to continue with your activation at this time' and asking me to try again later. I have set the language and country. What could be the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd suggest it wasn't unlocked correctly.

Unlocking an iPhone involves contacting the carrier it's locked to, they put in a notification to the Apple's activation servers.
Then they notify the owner of the handset. At this point you connect it to iTunes with a sim card from another operator to activate.

I'd suggest that one of those steps hasn't been completed. But the first port of call would have to be 3 in Austria I'd suggest

OP
TeDeum
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 tower(one of the last)/ iMac 24" intel
Thanks for that. I'll go back to 3 Ireland and ask them for a sim.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.