VNC through a ts-Gateway

Reaction score
I was recently granted permission at my office to have a new iMac for work. I'm thrilled and got it all set up. As a developer I frequently work from home in the evenings or weekends. To do this in the past I have used RDP through the ts-gateway. I usually use the iTap RDP app for this and it works great. The RDP server from apple is $80 and I'd rather not buy that if I don't have to. So this brings me to my questions.

Can I use the native NVC tunneled through the TS-Gateway that the company has set up?

If so, how do I configure my client, or what client should I use?

If not, is there an alternative / cheaper route to RDP on mac than the apple solution? My company isn't going to buy this for me.

I've been surprised how little discussion there is on RDP / NVC / gateway. I would think this would be a frequent problem these days.

Thanks,
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
RDP is a Microsoft technology, where-in nowadays most people are using VNC because it is more open

You would have to find out if your company has the ports needed for VNC, or even VPN open on their system

OP
M
Reaction score
No they don't. The network is pretty closed off and because of federal requirements ts-gateway is the only way into the building. TS-gateway is mainly just a secure proxy so I feel like this should be possible but this is my area of expertise.

OP
M
Reaction score
CoRD is a client app. I need a remote desktop server running on the iMac. And actually I like iTap a bit better, although I used Cord for a few years until recently.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, I'm slowly coming around to the fact that Remote Desktop sometimes means RDP and sometimes means VNC. That's very confusing since they're different standards. Tell me if I've got this:

1. MAC only uses VNC as it's Unix based and RDP is a windows only protocol.
2. There are no RDP servers that run on MAC (although this seems like it would be easy enough to write)
3. VNC runs on port 3283 as opposed to RDP running on port 3389.
4. VNC should work through a ts-gateway as long as I get port forwarding on the gateway set up for 3283.

Am I getting there? There is very little information about controlling a mac through ts-gateway. I would think in a secure environment this would be a common configuration. I might be able to get the port added on the gateway, but if not, how do I change the port that Apple VNC is running one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
RDP server - is Windows only. I don't know of any RDP servers for other OSes. Here is a graphic showing how an TS Gateway is setup
TSG%20Architecture_6.jpg

Basically it is a windows server sitting and serving the RDP to the internal resources.

The key is - it is 443 - SSL tunneling - which helps secure the data.

From what I can gather - you have a server with TS Gateway ports available. I didn't find anything that points to allowing a Windows server - to serve VNC to internal resources.

Commonly - companies provide VPN access - then you have access to all resources inside. (i.e. - I have a VPN and I can VNC to several linux and mac boxes - as well as RDP to my windows resources) The way you describe your company is setup - limits remote access to Windows - so you may not have a way to do what you want. Ultimately you'll have to work with your IT to figure this out.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you! Now I have a reasonable starting point. We have some pretty beefy servers available, I may just create a windows client and then VNC from there. Not elegant, but it would get past the issue!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.