Do I need a DVI convertor or a new display screen?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an Apple 17” LCD display with a DVI connector. I have a Mac Pro Intel 2.66mhz model A1186 with an ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics card that I’m looking to acquire. The DVI connector on my Apple display is larger than the DVI connectors on this video card.

I located a DVI to VGA converter and hooked up a 17” VGA monitor to this Mac. The machine powers on fine but it don’t display any video. I’m assured the Mac works fine. Which converter do I require to hook it up to my Mac 17” LCD display? Do I just need a different monitor?

Thank you for your advice and time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The converter is well and truly passed its use by day. These were popular back in G4 days, late nineties and early this century. They require mains power and with over ten years of use are pretty slow to boot up. The best option would be one of the cheaper LCD/LED displays such as a 21" BenQ or similar for not too much more. They abound on eB ay such as ghis one:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BenQ-E22...itor&hash=item2ec579d54a&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1413

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Louis,

Given the price of this adapter/power supply, It would seem wiser to put that money into a new display or a used Apple Cinema display. I take it the Apple Cinema displays with the metal housing have the standard DVI connector or not?

Thanks for your time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.