• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I flew my first Helicopter . . . . . . . R44

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I flew my first Helicopter on Monday.
My new girl knows how much i like Helicopters, so last year she bought me a lesson. It has taken me so long to do it, because i wanted to have my son with me when i did it. In one sentence, it was unbelievable. 5 days on im still on a high.

chopper12.jpg
chopper11.jpg

I went in and we walked out on the apron with my boy and showed him around the R44, before he had to leave to the viewing area.
I spent the next ½ hr with Mike my instructor and went over the controls and gauges and a first parade of the chopper.
Then we jumped in and took off. We headed straight West out to the training area and within 5 mins i took control of the 1st control the Cyclic. The Cyclic it the control that controls direction of the aircraft. You want to go forward, you push it forward, you want to go slight left, you push the Cyclic into the 11 oclock direction. I had a few minutes playing around with that.

chopper8.jpg
chopper10.jpg

Next was the Collective. The Collective controls the height of the craft. Want to go up, pull it up, down, push it down. On the Collective you also have the Throttle control, which you only really have to worry about when landing and taking off. Within the Throttle Control, there is a like Auto Pilot. When it reaches 88 ?!?! (cant quite remember the terminology), the Chopper kicks in and keeps it within the green range. WHen climbing or pitching, you need more grunt so it does it all itself.

chopper6t.jpg
chopper15.jpg

Next in line were the foot controls. What the foot controls do is to move the choppers nose basically left or right, and only really used when we are not in the green zone on one of the gauges, and in a Auto Rotation.
With all these controls, used all at once, you can fly a helicopter. I got to ride in the 4 seater R44 and not the 2 seater R22 which was booked for me. This lovely upgrade was because the 2 R22’s, 1 was in for service and the other was booked out to a actual paying customer going for his license.

chopper1.jpg
chopper13.jpg

chopper14.jpg

After playing with all the controls by themself, he handed the whole chopper and all the controls over to me, and for the next 15 mins i flew a Helicopter all by myself. I chased a train, more raced him, did circle work, and went to the ceiling and flew around in the cool.
It was now time to head back and i flew us to within the Jandakot Airspace and mike took the controls. Before hand, he told me to climb to 2500 ft which i did, then he ot us into a Auto Rotation, where the Turbine has lowered its RPMs to nothing BUT the Blades are still going the original RPMs. What this does and used for is incase it looses power, we have a chance to land safely, not so softly lol
We got to within20ft and Mike flared and we hovered mtrs above the ground.

The next for me was to try and hover . . . . . . AND WOW this is hard to do. I knew it was the hardest manouver to do, but didnt realise how hard it was, and i have a new appreciation for these blokes. For 5 mins i played and tried to hover and i did stay in one place for about 4 seconds which seemed the longest 4 seconds of my life. Up down up down sideways up down sideways lol
At one stage i took a quick dive to the ground but Mike pulled us out of it. The controls on these things are so very touchy. You only have to move them millimeters and they react. In the R22 they are even more touchy than the R44. They reckon if you can fly the R22 with no problems, then you can fly anything.
Story goes a BlackHawk Pilot from the US Army, came to Perth and wanted his Civvie license and having 15yrs BlackHawk pilot, he thought he would have no problems with the R22. It took him 6Mths training until he was competent enough to fly it on his own.
Being a Truckie Mike put it to me like this. The BlackHawk is like a 52Mtr RoadTrain. Big, slow, heavy with lots of power and the movements are big and desisive. The R22 is like a GoKart. Quick, light, touchy with little power. Fully Laden with 2 passenges the R22 doesnt top 700kg . . . . Blew me away…..
Gone on long enough but wanted to share my experience :) Thanks for reading
Brent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That is awesome! Good for you. I can't imagine the rush. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I flew my first Helicopter on Monday.
My new girl knows how much i like Helicopters, so last year she bought me a lesson. It has taken me so long to do it, because i wanted to have my son with me when i did it. In one sentence, it was unbelievable. 5 days on im still on a high.

I'm so jealous words cannot describe!!!;) Congrats!

Will there be a 2nd lesson?:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Outstanding, Brent!

Was wondering the other day what was happening with the Helicopter . :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Congrats Brent. :) The question now is... are you going to continue with the lessons and eventually get your license?

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea thanks chaps….

Its one of those things where i would love to continue with it and get my CPL and would in a heart beat if i had a spare 25k in my back pocket. I will most definatley go for another lesson or even 2 within this coming year, but only being on a disability things will be stretched. Im down to 5 smokes a day, and looking at full stop within a week, so i suppose i could off set it there and put the $ to a good use.
Are far as a answer goes ill say YES now to getting my CPL and it will give me something to work towards . . . . .

Honestly, im still buzzing, and then having my Ex ring tonight and ask me if i would like to take my boy and have him live with me, i think 2013 is finally going to be my year . . . . . Thinking harder, im due for another lump sum from Department of Veteran Affairs so i could well be on my way there. Just remembered that. This year is looking to be one good year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's so cool that you could do it together. Glad you had a memorable time:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It looks like a blast and definitely gave your son an irreplaceable memory.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's pretty cool!!

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks iggi, Bob and osxx.

Im actually blown away at the prints i got from my iPhone 5. What awesome clear images it shoots. They are just brilliant :)
But yea pretty cool lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Honestly, im still buzzing, and then having my Ex ring tonight and ask me if i would like to take my boy and have him live with me, i think 2013 is finally going to be my year

That right there is worth all the money in the world Brent. Very happy for you and great 2013! :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow you are such a cool dad. You seriously look like super dad with the hands on the hips. :D

Wish my dad was this awesome.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That right there is worth all the money in the world Brent. Very happy for you and great 2013! :)

Too true Charlie. I would of given up the flight 10 fold if it meant getting him, but no need now, i got the best of both worlds
Oh and thanks mate, it couldnt be a better start to the rest of my life :)

Wow you are such a cool dad. You seriously look like super dad with the hands on the hips. :D

Wish my dad was this awesome.

Im literally LMAO at the moment, because that is exactly what my 17yr old niece said to me, its Super Uncle Brent lol

Mind you i tried to puff the chest out and the gut in :p

Just a little something else my gorgeous girl took of me . . . As i said not much, but it excites me :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5083282/Up%20and%20Away.m4v

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I havnt got the 25-30k for a real CPL/PPL so i am going to put a little investment into X-Plane 10 and a decent Joystick to go with it. If i can pick up some pedal for a decent price i might go that way too.

Im going to hardwire it into my 47” 3D HD TV for the best experience i can get. For a little added excitement, i might flick the 3D button and believe im really up there doing the job :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I havnt got the 25-30k for a real CPL/PPL so i am going to put a little investment into X-Plane 10 and a decent Joystick to go with it. If i can pick up some pedal for a decent price i might go that way too.

Im going to hardwire it into my 47” 3D HD TV for the best experience i can get. For a little added excitement, i might flick the 3D button and believe im really up there doing the job :)

And it doesn't hurt near as much when you crash . . . ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
That must have been an amazing experience. Speaking for myself, I don't think I have any desire to actually fly one, but getting a ride in one sure sounds like fun. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Awesome Mate! Flying a helicopter is on my bucket list. I've taken tours but I've always wanted to try flying one.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MY New toy !!!!! Set me back 1K but i see it as my xmas and bday present to myself for the next couple years lol

Thunder Tiger Raptor RC30

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jealous . . .:Angry-Tongue:

Beautiful machine there, Brent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.