Offline Safari updater?

Reaction score
I need a standalone installer to update Safari 5 on Lion to 6.0.2

Yes, I've searched, and ran into several references to how Apple made life so much easier and simpler for us by getting rid of such a terrible, pesky item so we can just use Software Updater. Well, that doesn't work on systems THAT DON'T CONNECT TO THE INTERNET!!!

More searching led to a couple of possibilities, people who'd sniffed Updater traffic and worked out some horrible URL for where the package was being downloaded from. I found one that was just supposed to be a 6.0 installer, and two more with different names but the same file size. So I sent one of those down to our dark lab, and it ran, all right... but when all was said and done, Safari no longer works at all, and there's an error about it being for 10.8 or above! Why it couldn't check BEFORE running is doubtless yet another "improvement".

So... does anyone have a package that can run on a Lion machine and update Safari without requiring anything else?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think I found one here but I can't vouch for the veracity or quality of that download.

OP
jnojr
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the question properly. Why wouldn't you just download the latest Safari from MacUpdate and then move that file (using a USB thumb drive, for example) to the no-internet machine?

Download Apple Safari for Mac - Fast and elegant Web browser. MacUpdate.com

That link leads to a version of Safari for Mountain Lion, not Lion. It will run on a Lion machine... and badly break it.

Not sure what a machine that doesn't connect to the Internet needs with a WEB browser, but I'm sure there must be a circumstance I just haven't thought of.

Why would a browser require "the Internet"? You can have a private network with web servers, web apps, etc. that nobody else in the world can see.

FWIW, the link I found turned out to work perfectly. Maybe it could be added to the above-referenced site.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Why would a browser require "the Internet"? You can have a private network with web servers, web apps, etc. that nobody else in the world can see.

A very valid point, but it's becoming increasingly less likely that a computer doesn't have Internet access, so most programmers are increasingly working with the premise that the Internet connection is available for all actions..

I'm seeing a lot of apps on my iPhone do the same thing..so if you are in Airplane mode or for whatever reason have no Internet access, a few apps end up failing..and that's just silly to me..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
so if you are in Airplane mode or for whatever reason have no Internet access, a few apps end up failing..and that's just silly to me..
I feel like I should write a book entitled "The iPhone in Airplane Mode: How to use Exceptions". ;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I feel like I should write a book entitled "The iPhone in Airplane Mode: How to use Exceptions". ;)

Yes please, I was missing my game of Bubbles on my 18+ hour flight over the weekend..:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes please, I was missing my game of Bubbles on my 18+ hour flight over the weekend..:D
How many games really don't work without a connection? Maybe I don't see it because I'm always in range of some signal but really?

As suggested download Safari for Lion from this link, pop on a USB thumb driver and continue:-

About Safari 6 for OS X Lion
Apple doesn't provide direct links anymore since the MAS has become the primary method of distribution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.