Transferring from Macbook to iMac

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently own a 2007 MacBook. I am awaiting a 27 inch IMac and when it is finally delivered im not too sure how to deal with the data transfer. I've been told there's something called data migration which sounds fantastic however I really like the fact that ive got a brand new computer and all the setup that comes with it.

I'm looking to predominantly transfer my iTunes library. I have thought about putting it on an external hard drive and copying it over however I’m concerned that when i plug my iPhone into sync it won’t have the backup from my MacBook.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I used the Time Machine backup from my MBP when setting up my new iMac 21.5" 2 weeks ago. I had to make a couple of tweaks afterwards. Rename the iMac to "iMac" from "MBP" and create a new T.M. backup with a new external. I wanted each machine to have their own T.M. backup drive for redundancy. But it was really fast and easy.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I used the Time Machine backup from my MBP when setting up my new iMac 21.5" 2 weeks ago. I had to make a couple of tweaks afterwards. Rename the iMac to "iMac" from "MBP" and create a new T.M. backup with a new external. I wanted each machine to have their own T.M. backup drive for redundancy. But it was really fast and easy.

Never restored from TM, especially a full restore...can you explain how you did this?

Thanks

Roscoe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Never restored from TM, especially a full restore...can you explain how you did this?

Thanks

Roscoe

I did it when I first set up my new iMac. One of the first few options after you choose language, country, etc. is how to configure. It gives you the option to use a TM backup from an external drive. So, I plugged in the external that I had been using with my MBP and went through the prompts on the iMac. Basically it set my iMac up the same as if I was using my MBP - files and photos were in the same place and same tabs in Safari. It was really all automatic, no major configuring on my part.

Reaction score
I literally took and external drive and copied the whole iTunes folder from my macbook pro and replaced the iTunes folder on my new iMac and it worked perfectly. They were both the same version of OSX and iTunes. And that way it copied my iphone backup as well as all my other settings.

To be safe he first time I plugged in my iPhone I did a "backup" before I did a sync. But it worked perfectly and I've done it before on other computers.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.