Installing time machine backup on new internal hd

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but maybe the way I'm wording it I'm not getting the answers I need from the search results.

I've got a 2011 13" mbp. I've also got a new 1tb 2.5 hd on the way. I understand how to manually swap out the new for the old hard drive. But How do I get to the time machine backup onto the new hd? I'm running lion which I downloaded from the app store so the only start up discs I have are the snow leopard discs that came with my computer.

Also I assume the new drive needs to be formated before it can take the time machine backup. Is that something I'd do via the install discs?

I was hoping someone here could direct me to a video that might go through the process. I'm one of those people that does better watching it step by step.

Dom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are three main methods:
1. Internet recovery - make sure you have the latest firmware installed (Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3) then put the new disk in then use internet recovery (OS X: About OS X Recovery) to re-download & install Lion. On first boot Lion will ask if you want to migrate data from a Time Machine backup.
2. Create a bootable Lion installer (Lion DiskMaker), put the new disk in, boot from your installer USB or disc, install Lion, migrate from Time Machine as above.
3. Put the new disk in an external hard drive enclosure. Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to duplicate your existing disk onto the new disk. Install the new disk into your Mac. All done, no need to restore from Time Machine as it's a direct clone. Plus you can now put your old disk in the enclosure for backup, storage etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the help. Does the new drive need to be formatted first before I can install lion?

If so is that done though the start up disc or the internet recovery?

Am I right that it should be:

single partition journaled extended
GUID as the Partition Table.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will need to partition/format it first.
You are correct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.