No longer able to print to my Samsung ML-2850 PostScript laser printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
Here's how my system was when I was last able to print ...

The printer was directly connected (via Ethernet) to an old Macintosh G4 running I'm not even sure which operating system (something earlier than Leopard, maybe Panther or Lion). The previous owner had established a network on that computer. Using that network, my MacBook Pro running Leopard was able to print wirelessly.

Recently, when my MacBook was at the Apple Store having some work done, they upgraded the OS to Snow Leopard. After that, the MacBook could no longer access the printer wirelessly. The error message indicated that I needed to download a new driver which I did. Still no go.

Assuming that the problem was network incompatibility due the different operating systems, I tried connecting my MacBook directly to the printer via Ethernet. Once again, I got an error message indicating that I needed to download a new driver. Though I had already done this, I did it again. The driver came directly from Samsung's site. It was the right one for Snow Leopard.

My husband's computer (the old G4) has been replaced by a slightly newer Intel-era iMac. So I no longer possess the one computer that I know can talk to the printer. The printer is newish, circa 2008 or 2009.

My MacBook Pro is a 2008 with the following specs: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might print, even if it's not wirelessly, I'd appreciate you sharing them with me. The only idea that I have left is to hire a Mac-savvy person to come over to my house and "make things work." But I'd really rather not do that as people aren't always as savvy as they claim to be. Back in 2005, a Tier One tech support guy really jacked up my then-system trying to help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I don't understand is why you haven't attached the Samsung ML 2850 to your MBP using USB 2.0? You state that you have it attached via ethernet. BTW, that printer is not designed to operate wireless as it's old technology.

OP
vita64
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, OS 10.8.4
The printer may not have been designed to print wirelessly, but it did and with ease (no effort on my part). Ah, well.

I was able to get the iMac to access it via the router, so I'm no longer without printing capability. I will try USB with the MacBook. Thanks for the suggestion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was able to get the iMac to access it via the router, so I'm no longer without printing capability. I will try USB with the MacBook. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, that's not really true wireless. :) Anyway, please try to see if you can get it to print via USB and let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.