Mac OS X Desktop Mtn Lion New User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Desktop, 10.11.3 El Capitan
I've had this Mac for over one year but have recently upgraded to Mtn Lion from Snow Leopard and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I made a mistake!!! Been searching for manuals and/or tutorials which are specifically for the DeskTop and I feel as tho I'm "wandering in the desert"! Somehow, I did well with Leopard (with some helps from this forum and Apple) but this Mountain Lion makes me feel like a flatlander or something. I'm a 73 year old disabled veteran and it's really showing in my ability to "get" this thing. Someone please, direct me to a link (s) where I can find some exclusive helps for the Desktop. (seems every time I begin to search a subject, I find myself reading an article on how to link my IPhone to my Mac - which I do NOT care to do) I miss the "swipe-return to previous page" function of Leopard, scrolling is backwards to Leopard, what's this "Automator"!! et al infinitum. Please, give me a link to some helps for this desktop.

Thanks - I will appreciate any help here.
Samfromhernando

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm betting many of your issues with the change to ML can be solved by changing some settings in System Preferences. That is the grey icon in the dock that looks kinda like some gears or something. Open System preferences and click on the mouse icon to adjust the different gestures and what functions they perform. Scrolling direction can also be changed in there. Sorry I'm not on my Mac at the moment so I can't give you any screen shots or more specifics but look around in System Preferences to begin with and see if that doesn't help a little bit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Lion and Mountain Lion both use what they call Natural Scrolling. It's backwards to everything else and like scrolling with an iPad. You can disable that and have it just like Leopard was.

Open System Preferences and either Mouse or Trackpad and uncheck Scroll Direction: Natural. It will be like you are used to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm betting many of your issues with the change to ML can be solved by changing some settings in System Preferences. That is the grey icon in the dock that looks kinda like some gears or something. Open System preferences and click on the mouse icon to adjust the different gestures and what functions they perform. Scrolling direction can also be changed in there. Sorry I'm not on my Mac at the moment so I can't give you any screen shots or more specifics but look around in System Preferences to begin with and see if that doesn't help a little bit.

Thanks tons PM for the quick response! You're right on about the "sys pref" things and I'll pursue those for sure. I'm not "anti-change" as I like improvements for sure - just am not able to grasp them as well as I may have once been able to. That's one reason why I'm looking for tips as well as tutorials, manuals, etc and I do appreciate your particular help. Also apologize for forgetting to include the fact that I'm using a Mac Desktop OS X Mountain Lion, 10.8.2, 12c60, with a 3.2 GHz Intel Core 13 with 4GB Mem, and a Macintosh HD.
Thanks much.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks much for the reminder. I've been known to lose such as that and have not given too much thought to these - BUT I will now!
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
You could try one of the Tutors for Mountain Lion from the App Store.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Mtn Lion User

You could try one of the Tutors for Mountain Lion from the App Store.

I wasn't aware there were such and I'll definitely check it out. Thanks tons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
I've had this Mac for over one year but have recently upgraded to Mtn Lion from Snow Leopard and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I made a mistake!!! Been searching for manuals and/or tutorials which are specifically for the DeskTop and I feel as tho I'm "wandering in the desert"! Somehow, I did well with Leopard (with some helps from this forum and Apple) but this Mountain Lion makes me feel like a flatlander or something. I'm a 73 year old disabled veteran and it's really showing in my ability to "get" this thing. Someone please, direct me to a link (s) where I can find some exclusive helps for the Desktop. (seems every time I begin to search a subject, I find myself reading an article on how to link my IPhone to my Mac - which I do NOT care to do) I miss the "swipe-return to previous page" function of Leopard, scrolling is backwards to Leopard, what's this "Automator"!! et al infinitum. Please, give me a link to some helps for this desktop.

Thanks - I will appreciate any help here.
Samfromhernando

Arn't these folks great? And aww yes, the generational thing. You and I grew up when all we had to do was play outside in the dirt! And it was years before we even heard of these computer things. So far I actually only have an Ipad. Oh I used pc's when I worked but never Macs. I have ordered a macbook pro and to help me I got the ebook for my ipad “Macs For Dummies". Just a thought!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.