Ram upgrade for MacBook Pro?

B

bluesky

I have ordered my mac book pro but there is no change im going to pay the apple prices for the ram.

Anyone know where i can find the best ram for it? i had a look on ebay and the 533 mhz DDR2 is very very cheap however i cant seem to find any 567 mhz?

I assume i cant just use the 533?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
are any of these rams any good? Is there a difference between the brands? Is there an aftermarket ram that is good? or should you stick with the "good" brands

OP
J

jn4jenny

LastZion said:
are any of these rams any good? Is there a difference between the brands? Is there an aftermarket ram that is good? or should you stick with the "good" brands

There are many fascinating threads on this matter already. Use the "search" function in the forums.

OP
D

DFutrell62

As a soon-to-be switcher, I have a related question. I have a 1.83 MB Pro on order and it has 512MB RAM. I was hoping to purchase a 1GB SODIMM to add to the empty slot for a total of 1.5GB of memory.

I've been searching here and elsewhere and have found conflicting information about whether this will work (i.e., mixing two different sizes of memory).

So what's the story on the MacBook Pro? Will I end up with 1.5GB of usable memory or will I have to remove the 512MB to make the 1GB SODIMM work?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
I hope it works... My MBP is arriving on Tuesday and my RAM (1gig from Dealram) is arriving on Monday/Tuesday too... I will let you know then.

From what I have read it will work, but you would get bettter performance from 2 of the same ram? i.e 2 x 512 will work almost as good as 1 x 512 and 1 x gig. I hope that is not the case as I am of the latter group and I would expecdt 1.5 gigs regardless of config to be better thatn 1 gig.... But time will tell I guess, check back next week and I will let you know.

Anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW I am super pumped about my Macbook finally shipping, ordered Feb 11th. :)

OP
D

DFutrell62

I have the answer...not trouble at all to add 1 GB to a 512 machine. I ordered a 1 GB strip from Crucial... it arrived the day after my MacBook Pro. It took a total of 5 minutes to install, and the system recognized all of the memory (total 1.5GB) immediately.

I can't really report on the improvement as I had just started using the machine before I added the extra RAM. I can tell you that it is very, very fast. Even the Office software (through Rosetta) works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats good news.
my gig should come tomorrow.

do you use illustrator or photoshop?
I would like to know how those work with the 1.5 gig ram.

This comp is SO slow now... I think I just demand too much from it

OP
D

DFutrell62

I'm not using either of those programs...just the iLife stuff and MS Office plus about a gazillion widgets I downloaded today.

For Illustrator and Photoshop, the RAM should make a major difference. Let us know!

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a 1GB stick of apple ram for the macbook, it's $300, but this is a new machine, and there have been rare casees where ram has messed up hardware (and I have applecare, and I don't want to take ANY risks in voiding the warranty, so I don't mind paying the extra cash for apple brand). I have a widget that monitors the ram usage and such and when the ram isn't full this comp is lightning fast, but when ram is full it's slow as a slug...I can't wait for my 1gb stick...not enough ram can slow down a computer tremendously...

Regards,

Smeshy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go to powerlinememory.com and select factory original it is only $129US for 1gig.

HOpefully you haven't bought yours yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DFutrell62 said:
I'm not using either of those programs...just the iLife stuff and MS Office plus about a gazillion widgets I downloaded today.

For Illustrator and Photoshop, the RAM should make a major difference. Let us know!

Ok, the ram finally came and now my baby is running smooth. Everything is nice and snappy. Entourage and Illustrator are a little LITTLE bit more sluggish than my 1.5GHZ Powerbook, but that is to be expected and I am totally fine with it.

Everything is perfect in my world now ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
LastZion said:
Ok, the ram finally came and now my baby is running smooth. Everything is nice and snappy. Entourage and Illustrator are a little LITTLE bit more sluggish than my 1.5GHZ Powerbook, but that is to be expected and I am totally fine with it.

Everything is perfect in my world now ;).
That is good to know. I am buying a 1GB stick of RAM from OWC (a little more expensive, but they have great customer service/return policy--you get the new replacement stick before sending the old one back if you have a problem) so it's good to know there's a noticeable improvement in performance. :)

Reaction score
LastZion said:
If you go to powerlinememory.com and select factory original it is only $129US for 1gig.

HOpefully you haven't bought yours yet.

THAT IS AMAZING!!! Thank you soo much! Looks like I'll be buying the 2GB! Any idea how easy it is to install the other stick of ram? Replacing the 512mb that comes with the computer? Is it any harder then putting it into the extra slot?

THanks!

Smesh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
smeshy123 said:
THAT IS AMAZING!!! Thank you soo much! Looks like I'll be buying the 2GB! Any idea how easy it is to install the other stick of ram? Replacing the 512mb that comes with the computer? Is it any harder then putting it into the extra slot?

THanks!

Smesh

No man, its super easy, as long as you have the right size screw driver. Just push up those slots and take the battery away, remove those 3 screws and its right there.

Enjoy, glad I could help

OP
T

tylerdurden

these might be stupid questions but...How many memory slots are there to add to? and the max RAM i can add is 2.0 GB right??

OP
J

jaisai01

frys has a 2gb kit in store for 179 or 159 on their website w/outpost. patriot memory.. that is what i got for my MBP today and it works like a charm..
arul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jaisai01 said:
frys has a 2gb kit in store for 179 or 159 on their website w/outpost. patriot memory.. that is what i got for my MBP today and it works like a charm..
arul

Are you saying 2gb kit (2x1gig) or 2gb sticks?

Any confirm about the possiblity of maxing out at 4 gigs with 2 x 2 gig sticks?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.