transfer files G4 to 10.6.8

Reaction score
Moving files from old G4 PowerPC 10.5.8 to a MBP w/10.6.8.

I can't use MobileMe...it requires 10.6.8. And PowerPC 10.5.8 can't be updated to Snow Leopard. Can't use my new backup as a bridge because it requires 10.6 or higher.

Both are on WiFi...

I'm sure this is easy, but I can't see it.

Thanks,:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
F
Reaction score
thanks...

I use Dropbox to share video, and it's pretty slow. But I also have very slow internet service, and am beefing it up next week. But that could be the way... Much better than thumb drive!
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you got an external drive?

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (download from the web) to create a duplicate of your G4's disk

Attach that to the new Mac and use Migration Assistant (part of OSX) to move your account over to the new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
How about basic file sharing?
Go menu > Connect to server.
(from 10.6 to 10.5 as "server")

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you!

Carbon Copy Clone + Migration sound like a plan. I'm afraid I don't understand the Menu > Connect post. Further help? Where is menu? How are macs connecting?

I appreciate all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
First - go to syst prefs > sharing, and turn on personal file sharing. - on the older Mac.
Now, go to the Finder menu "Go." - on the newer Mac. Select Connect to Server. Click on Browse. Select your older Mac. It should mount on your newer Mac desktop. Search for files and drag and drop as you wish.

How are they connected? through your router, using the protocol AFP (apple filing protocol).

OP
F
Reaction score
Gsahli! Wow! I have never been here before. This is very cool.

I'm getting an alert that I don't have permission to read some files. But will work through that by playing.

Thank you so much!! Very cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.