An MBP, an Ipad, 1 Router Wireless Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
I keep coming up with all these questions to worry myself. I have an Ipad 4 that has no network connectivity problems. I have ordered an MBP that is scheduled for delivery on friday. I am not technical at all but based upon some things I have read, i looked at the setttings on my router and I see mode = b, g and no option for n. The specs for the MBP I have ordered say Wireless - 802.11 n. this means its not going to work under my current setup doesnt it?
I now wonder if I can get a new router from Centurylink that will work for 802.11 b, g, n so my ipad and MBP can work off same router. I have already called them but at that time, before ordering the MBP, all I knew to ask was if my current router would have any known problems connecting. They said wait till I got it.

Sorry for so many goofy questions, a newbie for you I guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your new MBP will connect to B and G just fine.

N is faster but with typical DSL, G will be more than fast enough.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for having patience with me, i know you helped me with another question yesterday. And right now i dont even care how fast it is, I just want it to connect! And it appeared I had bought the wrong Mac.

C

chas_m

I would recommend upgrading your wireless router to an "n" compatible one at your first opportunity, even though the B/G one you have will do the job. The speed difference is noticeable, particularly when passing things around the local network.

The Apple Airport Express I finally treated myself to almost instantly became my favourite router of all time five minutes after I set it up, and it's been rock solid and perfect ever since. It's worth the extra money IMO.

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, upgrading my router is very definitely in my plans. I am just hoping to receive the MBP, get it setup, connect to the internet and then get more familiar with how a Mac works. I also then plan on some device to use for backup purposes. So much to learn tho.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.