Macbook (Mid 2010) RAM Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi there

After suffering the very slow speeds of Lion on my Macbook 2010 model, I have finally decided to purchase and upgrade my RAM memory to get it moving quicker.

I know already that the laptop comes with 2GB Ram installed and that Apple say the max I can upgrade to is 4GB, but on a site called 'Other World Computing' it states that my computer will fully support 16GB of RAM.

I looked into purchasing and everywhere seems very pricey, I did however find a site called 'Crucial' what is selling 16GB of RAM rather cheap (CT2KIT102464BF1339 - 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM , DDR3 PC3-10600 from Crucial.com) , it doesn't state that it supports my Macbook though and I don't want to spend money on something what could harm my computer.

Would someone be able to help me out on this? Here is my computer's spec (according to apple):

Processor and memory
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
1066MHz frontside bus
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

Many Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know already that the laptop comes with 2GB Ram installed and that Apple say the max I can upgrade to is 4GB, but on a site called 'Other World Computing' it states that my computer will fully support 16GB of RAM.

I looked into purchasing and everywhere seems very pricey, I did however find a site called 'Crucial' what is selling 16GB of RAM rather cheap (CT2KIT102464BF1339 - 16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM , DDR3 PC3-10600 from Crucial.com) , it doesn't state that it supports my Macbook though and I don't want to spend money on something what could harm my computer.

Yes your MacBook can have up to 16gig of ram installed. Sometimes with some model computers...the actual max. ram is higher than Apple states.

As far as the the Crucial ram you linked...it may not be the correct ram (it may not be compatible). You need PC3-8500 DDR3 ram...your link is for PC3-10600 DDR3. I also used Crucial's "Memory Finder Tool"...and it's not listing any ram upgrades past 4gig for your computer model.

We also recommend folks purchase ram from OWC...and here are the ram upgrades they sell for your computer (4, 6, 8, and 16gig kits):

Apple MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz 2.26GHz Memory up to 16 GB of Ram | Hard Drive Upgrade and Video Installation Guide

Since you're in the UK...there may be some extra costs ordering from OWC...but we do have folks from all over the world ordering from them. Of course if you can find the correct ram you need via the "UK Crucial website"...that would work as well. It's just that Crucial's "Memory tool" doesn't list any ram upgrades past 4gig...so you REALLY need to be careful when ordering from Crucial if you want more than a 4gig ram upgrade.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'll probably go with OWC as it seems to make more sense! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks so much! I'll probably go with OWC as it seems to make more sense! :)

Good deal. It appears that the Crucial UK website is only listing ram upgrades that conform to Apple's "official" max. ram amount for your computer (4gig). But as you see at OWC's website...they list all sorts of ram upgrade kits for your computer beyond 4gig!:)

Hopefully extra shipping & UK VAT costs won't increase the price too much!;)

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.