"App Store" app for Macbook Pro damaged

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro early 2011, Sierra, 16G ram, 500G SSD boot, 500G 7200 RPM
I recently swapped my hard drive for an SSD, and moved the original hard drive to where the DVD player had been. Since then, if I try to use the App Store application, I get an error message that says it is damaged or incomplete. The App Store icon even has a circle with a line through it.

How do I get it back? I am using Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right click (command click) on the App Store application and select "get info". Look under "general", "where", and check the path that's given. It should read
"/Applications". Are any of your other applications also failing to open or opening with an error?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
App Store app "may be damaged or incomplete."

it is in applications. In fact, it is in my SSD (where the hard drive used to be), and also still in my old hard drive (where my DVD player was). In both, when I select the app, the icon shows the circle with a line across it. Just won't work!

I am sure it has something to do with the swapping of drives. Maybe I will delete the newer version on the SSD, then see if the older version works. Nope, "You can't open App Store because the file may be damaged or incomplete." So deleting did not work. I'm stuck, any more ideas? (Maybe I can retrieve it from my original Leopard disc or my Snow Leopard disc?)

My other applications are working fine.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV
this is what I found on Apple Support:

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.
Click the gold padlock icon to make changes. You may be prompted for your admin password.
Select: Mac App Store and identified developers
Click the padlock to prevent changes.

If it does not work try contact Apple Support: Apple - Mac App Store - Contact Support

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my Snow Leopard (10.6.8) there are no "Privacy" or "Security and Privacy" choices. There is "Security", but nothing about the App Store application / program. I loaded my Snow Leopard upgrade DVD, and nothing. I am beginning to think it will require a new install of Leopard and then the upgrade, Snow Leopard. I did submit a request to Apple, but doubt if they will be much help (they never have been in the past). Thanks for trying!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i will try this, although I read some where that the App Store app is only on Lion onwards.

Also, my Snow Leopard DVD is the upgrade from Leopard, if it matters. But, I will try it and let you know if I had any success. Thanks. (Apple never did get back to me).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the site to download the software, and there is nothing that I see called mdash or Charlessoft.

NEVERMIND, PACIFIST, RIGHT?!! I'LL GIVE IT A TRY.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you by any chance clone to the SSD? If so format and re-install leopard and upgrade may be the best option.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not clone (the SSD is only 120 gig, my hard drive is 500 gig). I just called Apple and they suggested the same thing. They said a reinstall would not erase my stuff, hope they are right. They also said don't begin with Leopard, just use the upgrade of Snow Leopard (is that right??). I asked if she was sure, and she said, yup, just the upgrade disc.

I did try Pacifist (awesome program), but did not see the App Store on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The App Store application may or may not be on the Snow Leopard DVD. It only appears when you are running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 and higher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested use the Snow Leopard disc and then upgrade to OS X.6.8 using the Combo Updater. If you do not choose format, you files will be safe. Trust you have broadband or cable as it is over 1GB in size:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UWell, you guys are the first to know. I reinstalled the Snow Leopard upgrade disc, then went to the Combo Upgrader and installed that. Then I rebooted.

No change to the App Store app. Still get the same message, damaged or incomplete, and still shows a circle with a line through it on the app icon.

And, remember, I called Apple and they said this was the way to do it. So I am stuck forever without the App Store! Any other ideas?

I will go to software update and update whatever is suggested. Maybe that will fix it. I will let you know.

UPDATE: Nope. Didn't work. Still the same.

UPDATE2: Ta daa!! Just did some more reading. I was going by the icon in the dock. When I checked in Finder, there it was, fixed and brand new!! Thanks for your alls help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.