Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz faster than a 1.67 Ghz ??

Reaction score
Hi
I am still a happy powerbook g4 user. I own a 17" g4 1.67 (powerbook 5.7).
In these days I am also got my hands on a 15" 1.5 Ghz (powerbook 5.4) and I found that the same FLASH streaming is smoother on the 15".
So I run XBench and found that the 15" is getting higher CPU scores than the big one.

I know that 167 mhz should not provide a big speed boost, but there's something wrong here :Not-Amused:

Are there any possible reasons?

The 17"had also its RAM maxed to 2GB while the smaller one has only 1 GB.
They have the same identical hard drive model.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I run XBench and found that the 15" is getting higher CPU scores than the big one.

Are there any possible reasons?

Are both computers running the exact same version of the Mac OS?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes. They both run Tiger updated to .11
The only difference is that the 15" has a fresh installation while the big one had this OS on since, at least, six months.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes. They both run Tiger updated to .11
The only difference is that the 15" has a fresh installation while the big one had this OS on since, at least, six months.

Thanks for the info. Regarding the cpu scores...it may depend on how much of difference we are talking. What sort of scores are you getting...and what benchmarking program are you running?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for helping!
I'm using Xbench 1.3. I get different results everytime I run the test.
However regarding the CPU test I get an average score of 50 to 60 for the 17" 1.67 and around 70 for the 15".

I tried to minimize the processes running on both machine, but the big one is still running a few more services in background (such as the internet connection).
The ideal situation would be a benchmark that blocks multitasking ( like old benchmarks running on the AMIGA).
Is there a software to check if the cache is actually turned ON and/or working`?
Do you think that an OS reinstallation may help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.