Problem with restart and Boot EFI

Reaction score
I installed a new 1 TB Drive in my MacBook Pro. After my installation everything works fine except when I restart the MacBook Pro by shutdown and then a button restart I get a blank screen with a 0 and a slash through it. I am using Mac OX 10.6.8. This MacBook Pro is a 2007 year model.

When I talked with Apple they said it was a problem with the Boot EFI. If this is the problem how do I fix it.

Thanks, Carl Hardy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you prepare the new hard drive after installing it in your MBP? Did you format the drive as Mac OS Extended Journaled and use the GUID partition scheme? Did you correctly install Snow Leopard to the new drive?

OP
T
Reaction score
How did you prepare the new hard drive after installing it in your MBP? Did you format the drive as Mac OS Extended Journaled and use the GUID partition scheme? Did you correctly install Snow Leopard to the new drive?

Yes, I did all of this. It is Mac OS Extended Journaled using the GUID Partition scheme and Snow Leopard is installed properly.

Thanks for this question. What is next. Carl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is next.

The Boot EFI is a small partition that's created on your hard drive when you install OS X. If that partition is corrupt or missing, the machine will not boot from the hard drive.

As a test, boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility verify and repair on the new hard drive. If the drive shows no errors and everything seems to be OK, the next step would be to erase the hard drive, reformat, and reinstall Snow Leopard.

Backup your data first.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did as you suggested. I erased my hard dive, reformated the drive, and reinsalled Snow Leopard. No success. It still will not reboot properly upon shutdown. The Snow Leopard disk is old so I ordered a new one and I am going to install the new Snow Leopard disk. Do you think this will work?

Carl.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know if it works with the new Snow Leopard disk. If it doesn't, that leaves the hard drive as suspect. I have had brand new hard drives out of the box that were flakey or did not work at all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did as you suggested. I erased my hard dive, reformated the drive, and reinsalled Snow Leopard. No success. It still will not reboot properly upon shutdown. The Snow Leopard disk is old so I ordered a new one and I am going to install the new Snow Leopard disk. Do you think this will work?

I know that it may be a pain in the butt...but while you are waiting for that new Snow Leopard disk to arrive...you could reinstall the old hard drive back into the computer...just to verify that the computer is working fine. This would help determine if the troubles are related to the new hard drive or the 10.6 install.

If you reinstall the old hard drive...and still have troubles...then something may have gone awry during the new hard drive install process.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I think I might have figured out what I did wrong. According to information from other forums I needed to clone my 500 GB drive onto the new 1 TB drive. I did not do this. I simply downloaded the 500 GB drive to the new 1 TB drive. The computer itself is still trying to recognize the 500 GB drive. I am going to go back and do the clone thing and I am hoping this will take care of the problem. I will keep you informed on what happens. Thanks for your input on this situation. Carl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.