Macbook Pro 10.6 CDs to upgrade older Macbook

Reaction score
Daughter has an Intel Macbook 10.4.7 that has Safari memory problems. I inherited the old Intel IMac 17 running on 10.6.8 just fine. I think I got a free upgrade offer last year. Other daughter has a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8. Can I use the Macbook Pro 10.6 CDs to upgrade the Macbook OS X?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like we're talking about three different computers (I'm not even sure why the iMac was mentioned)...so the situation is a bit confusing.

But the bottom line is...if you're talking about the gray colored disks that originally used to come with Apple computers (they don't anymore)...these are model specific...and usually only work with the model that they shipped with. So no...those disks most likely won't work on the other computer.

- Nick

C

chas_m

You daughter isn't having "Safari memory problems" whatever that is -- she's having Really Seriously Out of Date Safari and Plug-Ins problems.

The solution is for the daughter to a) back up her stuff and then b) spend $20 on a retail DVD of Snow Leopard, available from Apple. She needs to upgrade to Snow Leopard, migrate her stuff back, and update her other software as needed (Safari will automatically be replaced with a more recent version).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks -

I mentioned the Imac because it was Tiger and runs Snow Leopard well now.

I thought maybe that the disks were device specific. You've answered that.

Guess SHE will have to spend the $20 to upgrade her Grad present.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.