Syncing photos

Reaction score
Why won't my photos sync in numeric order from my laptop to my iPad? It doesn't matter what I do, they have a mind of their own and load willy nilly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
the iPad will sort your photos by date modified (ascending) order.

The only way I know that can influence this is by setting the sort order in iPhoto or Aperture and syncing to iPad.

The alternative is to use a third party app rather than the stock Photos app.

Have a look at Photo Manager Pro. I'm sure there will be others too

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you very much. This probably explains it but seems like a flaw to me. This is like a book being bound in the order in which the author edited each page making the book virtually useless.

If I were to rename the files in the order in which I want them to sync, would that ensure image 1 appears before image 2, etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I doubt believe renaming updates the modified date as the file content remains unchanged but it's worth a test.

I agree the default app has limited appeal if you want to custom sort. Hence the iPad app suggestion

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.