external hd data there, not accessible

Reaction score
Hi.

I have an external 2TB hard drive for a few years that has only ever been used with a mac for imovie and photo backup. Ironically it has my time machine backup as well.

Two days ago, my computer did not recognize this hard drive (but did recognize two other externals) when I booted up. After much trial and error, I took the hard drive out of its casing and connected it to a new casing. I did a repair disk (disk utility) and got a message that drive is OK.

Now, I am able to see the hard drive and I see all of its contents. Problem is, in an effort to back up all of this very important information, I can't get most of the larger files (over 1 GB) OFF the hard drive. I get an error message "cant' copy, file is use" or "file is busy". Sometimes it copies some of the file and then I get the message, and sometimes I get the message right away.

I tried doing a restore, thru disk utility. I wanted to copy the old drive completely to a new drive, but again got an error message that the source was busy.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds as though you have locked files on there. Have you tried a repair permissions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.