Optical Drive for late 2012 iMac

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am waiting on my new 27" iMac (late 2012) to arrive and would appreciate some suggestions as to which optical drive would be best for my system. I see the Apple SuperDrive is available but I notice other manufactures offering drives with better specs and usb 3.0 connections. The main purpose of the drive will be to backup my DVD's and burn home moves to DVD. My past experience has shown me that just because the Mac logo is on the outside of the box doesn't mean that it will function well with Mac.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Art

System info:
• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
• 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
• 1TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Hello All!

I am waiting on my new 27" iMac (late 2012) to arrive and would appreciate some suggestions as to which optical drive would be best for my system. I see the Apple SuperDrive is available but I notice other manufactures offering drives with better specs and usb 3.0 connections. The main purpose of the drive will be to backup my DVD's and burn home moves to DVD. My past experience has shown me that just because the Mac logo is on the outside of the box doesn't mean that it will function well with Mac.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Art

System info:
• 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
• 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
• 1TB Fusion Drive
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR

Linky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.