External monitor 27 for original MBA

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a 27 in monitor for my MBA, original 2008 model. Specs say it's max res for external is 1920 x 1080. Also need for the monitor to meet Vesa 100 x 100 standard and do a nice job of displaying text. Not into gaming. Video display is secondary.

So, I've been searching for days and often when I find what appears to be a good monitor, it will have a note that causes concern, e.g. Power Mac [insert some res lower than the monitor's native 1920 x 1080].

Has anyone had first hand experience with a 27 in per above that works well with the original MBA?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks mrplow. Yes my point about "notes that cause concern" was pretty vague. What I mean is that I want to be sure I am getting a monitor that my MBA (2008) can display to at the MBA's full 1920 x 1080 res. I ran across a View Sonic recently that based on specs I would think would do so, but the specs included a statement that Power Macs display at a lower res. I don't remember the specifics. So I thought I would use this thread to see if others could point me to monitors with which they have had success with their 2008 MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You'll be fine with pretty much any 1080 monitor and your Intel based MBA.

But hopefully someone with that model will jump in to assure you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I ran across a View Sonic recently that based on specs I would think would do so, but the specs included a statement that Power Macs display at a lower res.

Maybe there's some terminology confusion going on here. A MacBook Air is NOT a Powermac. Powermac's were computers Apple produced BEFORE Apple switched to Intel cpu's in all computers. The last Powermac was discontinued back in 2006.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
good point pigoo3. I was assuming that the Power Mac that the View Sonic specs referred to had 1920 x 1080 external output. But I suppose whatever Power Mac issues they were alluding to wouldn't necessarily apply to MBAs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
good point pigoo3. I was assuming that the Power Mac that the View Sonic specs referred to had 1920 x 1080 external output.

I should have also mentioned that "Powermac's" were only desktop computers. "Powerbooks" would have been the Powermac equivalent in an Apple laptop computer of that time.

But I suppose whatever Power Mac issues they were alluding to wouldn't necessarily apply to MBAs.

The Viewsonic specs you were looking at must be pretty old...since it mentioned a Powermac issue. But like you mentioned...you have a MBA...so what those Viewsonic specs mentioned regarding Powermac's would not apply.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.