Safari constantly tells me "safari can't verify the identity of the website..."

Reaction score
I am running with OS X 10.7.5 and have recently been struck with a couple of problems.

1. Safari constanly tells me Safari can't verify the identity of the website "static.ak.facebook.com" even when I have no connection to facebook up. It has also done this for multiple other sites, but mostly Facebook. The link below is a screenshot of what is happening in my Safari brower.

imgur: the simple image sharer

2. When I do go to Facebook, the layout is extremly odd and no one else seems to have an issue with theirs but nothing works for mine.

3. Finally, my Netflix won't work. Being a poor college student with no television, netflix is my savior and not being able to view it is terrible. Okay, it's not that bad and this is the last of my problems, which I think might be connected to the other two. It reads:
Digital Rights Management (DRM) Error
Error Code: N8156-6013

We’re sorry, but there is a problem playing protected (DRM) content.

All of this is very frustrating to me and it is hard to do my work with this going on in my computer. I have tried clearing my history, cookies, and resetting all of safari. I have installed Microsoft Silverlight and uninstalled it many times. I have tried going through the keychain access to see if there is anything wrong with it. I am out of luck and would just like my computer working normal again. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds like you have a problem with your DNS server, either in OS X or on your router. I suggest changing it to use OpenDNS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqK0PgwrbYQ

Less likely is that you have a DNS hijacking trojan of some sort. That's highly unlikely since Lion does have built-in malware protection that is auto-updated, but you should still double check to be sure.
ClamXav

Also make sure you have the latest updates to Java and Flash. Better yet... disable the Java plug-in.
How to disable the Java web plug-in in Safari

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, lifeisabeach.

I am actually very worried and have no idea where to go from here. The first step you listed didn't do any good so I downloaded ClamXav and a lot of viruses showed up. I have attached a screen shot. I have no idea where to go from here. How at risk is my computer? How do I deal with this? Where did all of these viruses come from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Dont worry about what ClamX has found, they are just dodgy phishing emails and mails with windows malware attached

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
None of those viruses or trojans that are listed can infect your Mac. They're Windows related and likely picked up in your email messages or possible from some of the sites you've been visiting.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The certificate requests could be caused by an improperly set date and time (however odd that might sound). Ensure that those are both set properly (System Preferences > Date & Time). As for Netflix, reinstall Silverlight.

OP
E
Reaction score
So I shouldn't worry about the viruses? Then why am I getting all of these strange pop ups telling me that Safari cannot idenitfy the address of the website... ?
They are actually getting very annoying and getting in my way when I am trying to get my work done.

As for the Netflix problem, it was my date set on my computer! Oopies, rookie here. Thank you vansmith!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As stated do not worry about the viruses. They cannot function under OS X. Try cleaning the cache of Safari by using 'Reset Safari'. Also consider using AdBlock for Safari.

http://safariadblock.com

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The validity of the certificates can be checked if you select the "Show Certificate" option. If they look valid, select the 'always accept' option (I don't remember the exact wording here).

The reason you keep seeing them (most likely) is because although you're not using Facebook, the page you are viewing uses it for something. This page for example as a "Like" option at the top.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.