iMac HDD recovery from lost partition

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have question about hard drive recovery posibility in my problem.

I had 1 TB drive with 2 partitions - Macintosh HD(700 gb) and BOOTCAMP(300gb).

I had tried to erase my bootcamp partition with Disc Utility (Tried to do it with Boot Camp Assistant but unfortunally). It wasn't erased but replaced with "disc 4" partition with 1 TB free space. Disc utility showed Macintosh HD partition too (with 700 gb like in the past).

I restarted my iMac and turned Alt key, but now I have only 1 Windows icon (who can't load due "Operating system is missing" without Macintosh HD on startup.

Disc utility under Recovery HD shows only "disc 4" partition fully free (1TB) and there is no Macintosh HD partition now!!!

I didn't use backup or Time machine.

Please, someone tell in you know, if it possible to recover data from Macintosh HD or I just have lost it at all and do full formatting>set up new Lion OS.

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did you print and read BootCamp instructions? You need to remove the partition by going into BootCamp and hit 'Remove'. Have yet to see that fail so something was not right. Disc Utility will not do that for you. You may well have to go into Recovery for OS X.7 and X.8 and format the drive and do a clean install. If you are using Snow Leopard may use the install DVD for this purpose.

And when things are up and running use an external drive with Time Machine, SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to backup your data.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply, harryb2448!!!

I will do it. But I hadn't used Time Machine in past. So I have no chance to restore information from lost Macintosh HD partition after formating/installing new OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Plug your iMac HDD to other iMac / MBP / MBA / Mac mini by using HDD dock or NAS if you have it, and recover the iMac HDD using hard drive recovery software on the Mac, where you plug the iMac HDD,
you can tried to find recovery software from App store,

i hope you get the lucky,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.